Turkish / Persian influences in Russian clothing

  • timbo@xxxxxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 1999
      I agree completely with Larisa Ivanova on this. If you look at
      Russian costuming in the 15th / 16th centuries, you see the central
      asian influences (coats, sashes, ti'afas or "beanies", decorated
      hanging nettings of pearls, etc.) slowly shift from thier Tatar roots
      to a very Turkish designs, such as the letnik, which is a direct
      ripoff of the Turkish woman's overgarment, the Ferjasy (except with
      ornamented bands at the cuff, the seam open from cuff to elbow and a
      decorated from opening. Russians also showed a taste for the
      Persian overcoats ("opashen") with Russian elements (bicep bands of
      cloth with no cloud collar imitations on the shoulders as in Persia).
      In the seventeenth century, Russian clothing strongly resembles
      Persian clothing, probably because they traded with the Persians but
      warred with the Turks (like everyone else in Eastern Europe).
      Whew! Oversharing penalty. Sorry about that!
      'dak