Re: Moscovite stamping

  • Leslie Helms
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 30, 1999
      >> And yes, stamped fabric is period, at least for
      >> early Rus' (pre-14th cen).
      >> Anyone know about later periods? Dak?
      >
      >Its mentioned in various sources but not how it was done. They also
      >mention Persian batiks and Chinese stamped designs (done using a huge
      >wheel since the 3rd C AD according to TLC).

      The Turkish and Persian garments continued to use stamping throughout late
      period, so it is not an unreasonable stretch for Rus who were on the trade
      routes, it seems to me. Stamping was not seen (that I know of) on the main
      outer surfaces of adult clothing, but stamped silks were used as linings
      and facings, sometimes extending onto the garment fronts. Jennifer
      Scarce's book, "Women's Costume of the Near and Middle East" describes this
      and also has photos of period costume in Romania. Those were some BIG
      brocades! (Barnes & Noble has this online.)

      Larisa Ivanova