OOP request

  • Patricia Hefner
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 6, 2000
      I know that Austrian dirndls are not period but I wouldn't mind having a
      pattern of one. Does anyone know where I might get one? Thanks in advance.
      I actually have one of these, but I've had it for eons and I'd have to lose
      an, uh, undisclosed number of pounds to be able to fit into the darn thing.

      Isabelle
      patricia.hefner@...
    • Robert J Welenc
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 7, 2000
        At 12:20 AM 4/7/00 -0500, you wrote:
        >I know that Austrian dirndls are not period but I wouldn't mind
        having a
        >pattern of one. Does anyone know where I might get one? Thanks in
        advance.
        >I actually have one of these, but I've had it for eons and I'd have
        to lose
        >an, uh, undisclosed number of pounds to be able to fit into the darn
        thing.

        >Isabelle
        >patricia.hefner@...

        Folkwear Patterns has one -- at least, a merchant at Atlantian
        Coronation had a copy.
        http://www.larkbooks.com/home.nav/fw/ shows it available. I've
        never dealt with the company, though, so I can't tell you how
        reliable they may be.

        Alanna
        ***********
        Saying of the day:
        If all is not lost, where is it?
      • Jeff Heilveil
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 4, 2002
          Okay, this is lame. I can't believe I'm doing this but...

          THIS IS NOT FOR AN SCA EVENT.

          Okay, that out of the way, HELP!!!! One of the professors hosts an
          Octoberfest every year. It's almost always on the high holidays or when
          I'm at an event, so I never go. Finally, I'm in town. AND HE MADE THE
          THEME POLISH! Here I had 5 or so pre-1500s German recipes from
          Kuchenmeisterey and he CHANGED IT.

          Anyone have a good recipe for something Polish that most people might not
          have had/make?

          Thanks,
          Jeff

          To the timid and hesitating, everything is impossible because it seems
          so. -Sir Walter Scott

          If you cannot explain it in a sentence, then you don't truly understand
          it.
          Jeffrey Heilveil M.S.
          PhD Candidate, Department of Entomology
          University of Illinois
          heilveil@...
          lab: (217) 333-2929
        • ATOC
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 4, 2002
            Not polish, but a couple a quickie Hungarian dishes? Went over well for our
            feast.

            Let me know!

            Soffya

            -----

            To the timid and hesitating, everything is impossible because it seems
            so. -Sir Walter Scott

            If you cannot explain it in a sentence, then you don't truly understand
            it.

            ___
            Jeffrey Heilveil M.S.
            PhD Candidate, Department of Entomology
            University of Illinois
            heilveil@...
            lab: (217) 333-2929

            __

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 4, 2002
              At 12:33 PM 10/4/2002 -0500, Jeff Heilveil wrote:
              >Okay, this is lame. I can't believe I'm doing this but...
              >

              >THIS IS NOT FOR AN SCA EVENT.
              >
              >Okay, that out of the way, HELP!!!! One of the professors hosts an
              >Octoberfest every year.

              omigosh, that's tomorrow, isn't it? I'd completely forgotten!
            • Jenne Heise
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 4, 2002
                > Not polish, but a couple a quickie Hungarian dishes? Went over well for our
                > feast.
                > Let me know!

                I dunno if Jeff wants those recipes, but I do. *sigh* I don't have my copy
                of Dembinska with me.

                ". . .something lingering, with boiling oil in it, I fancy . . ."
              • yana@merr.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 4, 2002
                  If they don't need to be SCA-period recipes, I would suggest:

                  pierogi (not pirogi, or pirozhki) ;-)
                  something with lots of poppy seeds
                  kolaches/kolaczki (wonderful with poppyseed filling)
                  bigos (hunter's stew)
                  golabki (cabbage rolls)
                  babka (easter cake)
                  kapusta (cabbage salad w/grated apples, pork fat, caraway, vinegar dressing)
                  cwikla (beet salad usually w/horseradish)
                  kluski/kaluski (potato dumplings/noodles, can serve w/cabbage and Keilbasa)
                  paczki (kinda like doughnuts)
                  faworki (deep-fried cookies)
                  potica (good complicated drool-y recipe at
                  <http://recipes.alastra.com/polish/potica.html>)

                  --Yana, very hungry now

                  http://mail2web.com/ .
                • ATOC
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 4, 2002
                    Okie Dokie! Now I don't cook with measuring cups/spoons. I was taught by
                    sight and taste. So bare with me! I'll approximate quantity.

                    1) Hungarian Cabbage Rolls - My Grandma would make this and freeze this in
                    milk cartons (yes, I AM that old!) and ANYONE and EVERYONE who came to her
                    house left with a carton. Even the meter reader, remember those?

                    several cabbage heads, with loose leaves. I usually use 3-4 med-size heads
                    1 pound ground meat, I recommend a good cut
                    1 pound ground pork, NOT SAUSAGE
                    1 small onion, minced (yes, use the frappe on wizzer!)
                    1 cup l rice, NOT INSTANT or CONVERTED
                    black pepper, parsley - 1 tsp-ish
                    1 #10 can sauerkraut
                    1 16 oz (large) can STEWED tomatoes, PLAIN

                    Boil cabbage heads in plain water. Have a large bowl filled with water and
                    ice. It's to stop the cooking process. When leaves start to slough off
                    head, remove from pot and drop in ice water. cut core our CAREFULLY. Drain
                    in hand for a few shakes, put new head in pot, remove leaves from cooked
                    head and put in drainer. When it becomes difficult to REMOVE leaves, STOP!
                    Continue with heads until you have built up a nice pile.

                    Wash your hands! Hand mix meat, rice and seasoning. You need to get your
                    hands in there to make sure there is a good distribution. Wash hands. Use
                    a cutting board and move drainer close to you. Get a large stock pot, 6+
                    quarts, and oil bottom. I use extra virgin olive oil, this is to keep
                    bottom layer from sticking.

                    Lay cabbage leaf out with stem to you. Cut out most of the rind ridge. Put
                    about a tsp to tbsp meat mixture in center. Depending on how full you want
                    your leaf. This will take a couple of times. Pull cut bottom pieces
                    together and tuck over then under meat mass. fold sides in and roll up.
                    Place in bottom of pot. Keep adding rolls until bottom is covered. Pack
                    kinda tight, but remember rice needs room to expand.

                    Open cans of sauerkraut and stewed tomatoes. INSIDE of can, cut up
                    tomatoes. Spread a layer of sauerkraut on top of rolls, then add some
                    stewed tomatoes. Go back to cabbage leaves, make a second layer and
                    continue in this layering fashion until you either run out of leaves OR
                    you're 5 inches from top of pot.

                    When pot is full, dump rest of tomatoes WITH JUICE onto rolls. Place a
                    plate that just fits inside the pot on top of rolls. Place a weight, I use
                    a piece of stainless steel, but an empty can filled with dry rice is fine.
                    You need to weight them down. Fill pot with water until ONE INCH above
                    rolls. Put on medium to medium low heat (depends on whether you have gas or
                    electric) for about 20 minutes. COVER.

                    Check one in about 20-25 minutes. Unroll it, the rice should have swelled.
                    You do not need to add salt. There is MORE than enough in the sauerkraut.

                    It sounds complicated, but it REALLY is easy to make. PLUS it freezes
                    wonderfully! I make a pot during the winter and have lunch for months!

                    2) Mushroom Strudel

                    Okay, I am a certified Cajun & Creole chef, but I cannot bake to save my
                    LIFE. So I cheat and use phyllo dough. Now Hungarians make a form of
                    phyllo (can't think of the name for it) that is thinner. Great Grandma used
                    to stand on a bench (she was only 3' 10") and roll it out for hours. Then
                    she'd pull it across the back of her hand, like showing a bride the
                    sheerness of a veil.

                    Basic strudel dough OR 1 box of phyllo
                    1 small onion, minced
                    2 sticks of butter
                    1 pound of mushrooms, coarsely chopped
                    salt & pepper, I use sea salt
                    3 eggs, separated
                    4 tbsp PLAIN bread crumbs

                    1) saut´┐Ż onion in 2 tbsp butter, covered for about 10 minutes. Add
                    mushrooms, salt and pepper; to taste. Cook. covered, over VERY LOW heat
                    until all the liquid has been cooked out and only the cooking fat remains.
                    Stir often. Put mixture in bowl and put in fridge to cool.

                    2) Preheat over to 375 ferinheight. When mixture is cool, add egg yolks and
                    make sure they are mixed. Set aside. Whip egg whites until VERY STIFF.
                    Fold then in the egg yolk mixture until completely mixed. Then fold in
                    bread crumbs.

                    3)For strudel dough- spread mixture on stretched dough, sprinkle with 4 tbsp
                    melted butter. Roll strudel VERY loosely to leave space for eggs to swell
                    during cooking. Place in buttered baking pan, cookie sheet size (17x11).
                    Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until crisp.

                    3a) For phyllo dough-lay sheet out on cutting board and brush with melted
                    butter. Continue this procedure until 5 sheets are buttered. Cover
                    remaining sheets with cling film. Spread about 2 cups of mixture on SHORT
                    side of sheet about the width of your palm from end. DO NOT GO TO END!
                    Fold this flap over mixture. Carefully fold over once. Butter top, fold
                    over, butter, continue until you've reached end of sheet. Butter top layer.

                    4) I recommend doing this on wax paper so you can cut wax paper where
                    strudel ends up and carefully lift and put on baking sheet. Bake in oven
                    15-20 minutes., or until brown.

                    5) Cut into 1 1/2-2 inch strips. It tastes better chilled, but it WILL not
                    make it for left overs.

                    Working with phyllo dough isn't very hard, it'll take you a couple of sheets
                    but once you get the hang of it it's fun. I had a college kid help with my
                    feast and she got SO into the phyllo, she did the last 5 by herself and was
                    upset we were done. We made 20 of these for our event. NOTHING was left
                    over! If you've ever been to an event and paid $2 for a mushroom pasty and
                    felt jipped, this will change your mind. EVERY event I'm asked to make
                    this, every demo, bake sale, EVERYTHING.

                    Enjoy!

                    Soffya

                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 5, 2002
                      YUMMM!!!!!!!!!

                      Thank You!!

                      I can still remember Babchi's kapusta and haven't been able to find the
                      reciepe.

                      THANK YOU!!!!

                      Katheryne