Re: [sig] writing for kids

  • Jenn/Yana
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 3 2:22 PM
      My advice is to do what we are told to do in archaeology...DRAW A PICTURE.
      The saying "a picture is worth a thousand words" is very true for this
      purpose. You are trying to describe very visual items and your purposes
      would be much better served with diagrams. Think of the Richard Scarry
      picture books where everything is labeled or the various types of picture
      dictionaries. With this format, your booklet could appeal to the widest
      age spectrum. You can include the Russian word in transliterated form, the
      pronunciation and then include an explanation underneath or elsewhere (for
      space purposes), like in a glossary. For non-visual things (or things you
      don't feel like drawing), try a "question and answer" format. Make the
      answers short and consise and easily understandable. You are only going to
      be giving an (very useful) overview.

      Things you need to consider:
      The age of your intended group
      The interests of your group
      What you expect your group to get out of the booklet

      Personally, I would call a panova a wrap-skirt that is open in the front.

      --Yana
    • Krista Harjamaki
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 3 3:45 PM
        > > It tells me that it probably has a place for tongs in the back and the
        > > front is open for some reason.
        >
        > Actually, that is it, as far as anyone can tell. It's open in front to
        show
        > off the embroidery on the shirt.
        >
        > Predslava.

        Then why don't you say "a apron that is worn on the back instead of the
        front. It covers the back from the shoulders usually all the way down to
        the knees. The only part that you'd see on the front is the ties."

        WARNING I made that up based on the information above. It is meant only to
        be an example of how it could be written.

        Aveline