Re: [sig] writing for kids

  • Patricia Hefner
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 2 8:35 PM
      > I suggest a visit to the children's section of your local library. Look
      for
      > books that focus on geograpy. There are some great books about the
      > different states in the US as well as other countries. Read these and
      focus
      > on the introduction. This should give you an idea of how to start your
      > article. Also, remember short sentences and ask a child you know to proof
      > read it. He or she can circle all of the words or sentences that are hard
      > to understand. Good luck!
      >
      > Aveline

      OK, another question. I don't want to use too many Russian clothing terms.
      Should I call the panova "a sort of apron in reverse"? That's what I thought
      the first time I ever saw a picture of one. I'm calling a navershnik "a
      short tunic worn over the rubakha". I'm calling the svita a "coat". Is this
      OK, or too "watered down"?

      Isabelle
      patricia.hefner@...
    • MHoll@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 3 2:07 PM
        In a message dated 4/3/2000 1:14:49 PM Central Daylight Time,
        vespirus@... writes:

        > "My first 1000 words in Russian"

        Yes, it's a pretty neat word book, even though a few of the pronounciations
        are wrong, and I've seen it at Barnes and Noble and Borders.

        Predslava.
      • Jenn/Yana
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 3 2:22 PM
          My advice is to do what we are told to do in archaeology...DRAW A PICTURE.
          The saying "a picture is worth a thousand words" is very true for this
          purpose. You are trying to describe very visual items and your purposes
          would be much better served with diagrams. Think of the Richard Scarry
          picture books where everything is labeled or the various types of picture
          dictionaries. With this format, your booklet could appeal to the widest
          age spectrum. You can include the Russian word in transliterated form, the
          pronunciation and then include an explanation underneath or elsewhere (for
          space purposes), like in a glossary. For non-visual things (or things you
          don't feel like drawing), try a "question and answer" format. Make the
          answers short and consise and easily understandable. You are only going to
          be giving an (very useful) overview.

          Things you need to consider:
          The age of your intended group
          The interests of your group
          What you expect your group to get out of the booklet

          Personally, I would call a panova a wrap-skirt that is open in the front.

          --Yana
        • Krista Harjamaki
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 3 3:45 PM
            > > It tells me that it probably has a place for tongs in the back and the
            > > front is open for some reason.
            >
            > Actually, that is it, as far as anyone can tell. It's open in front to
            show
            > off the embroidery on the shirt.
            >
            > Predslava.

            Then why don't you say "a apron that is worn on the back instead of the
            front. It covers the back from the shoulders usually all the way down to
            the knees. The only part that you'd see on the front is the ties."

            WARNING I made that up based on the information above. It is meant only to
            be an example of how it could be written.

            Aveline