Re: [sig] writing for kids

  • Krista Harjamaki
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 2, 2000
      I suggest a visit to the children's section of your local library. Look for
      books that focus on geograpy. There are some great books about the
      different states in the US as well as other countries. Read these and focus
      on the introduction. This should give you an idea of how to start your
      article. Also, remember short sentences and ask a child you know to proof
      read it. He or she can circle all of the words or sentences that are hard
      to understand. Good luck!

      Aveline

      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 3, 2000
        In a message dated 4/2/2000 8:05:41 PM Central Daylight Time,
        patricia.hefner@... writes:

        > Why *exactly* was
        > travel so difficult in Russia in the winter--did people die of hypothermia,
        > were the roads--if indeed there were any, I don't know--screwed up by all
        of
        > the ice and snow, or were there other factors I can't think of right now

        Actually, winter was the preferred time for travel. In spring, travel was
        made very difficult because of mud from melting snow, and the rivers were
        impracticable because of melting ice (rasputitsa [rahs-POO-tee-stah]. In the
        fall, the ground was saturated by the autumn rains. In winter, once the
        rivers froze, they offered the perfect roads for quite a long time (most of
        European Russia is much like the upper Midwest in terms of climate). Then
        once the snow fell, it would become possible to travel *on top of it* (no
        decent roads, no need for snow-plowing).

        These conditions persisted way into the 19th century, and to some extent even
        into the 20th. Although relays and post were an OOP thing, for the rest, more
        modern accounts of travel can offer good insight into the question.

        As for the cold, if you live in that kind of climate, you know how to deal
        with it. Hypothermia is a danger only if you don't bother to dress
        appropriately, or in difficult situations -- being caught in a blizzard,
        losing one's way, etc.

        This is probably why the "Russian winter" is such a mythological concept in
        the West -- not so much because of its severity (although that's relevant
        around the arctic circle), but because Russians knew (and still know) how to
        deal with it, whereas travellers from more temperate climates found it
        difficult.

        Predslava.
      • MHoll@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 3, 2000
          In a message dated 4/3/2000 4:03:53 PM Central Daylight Time,
          parkrobe@... writes:

          > It tells me that it probably has a place for tongs in the back and the
          > front is open for some reason.

          Actually, that is it, as far as anyone can tell. It's open in front to show
          off the embroidery on the shirt.

          Predslava.
        • Diane S. Sawyer
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 3, 2000
            --- "Robert L. Parker" <parkrobe@...> wrote:
            > I don't understand the "apron in reverse". That makes no sense to
            > me.
            > It tells me that it probably has a place for tongs in the back and
            > the
            > front is open for some reason. Having never seen a panova this
            > would be
            > difficult to understand.
            >
            > 2 Roubles,
            > Sergei

            Actually, except for the bit about the tongs, you're absolutely
            right; it *is* open in front. It's three panels of fabric sewn
            together with a channel for a belt, worn around the waist over the
            rubahka with the opening to the front. ASCII art follows:

            ________________________________
            ===============|__________|__________|__________|==================
            | | | |
            | | | |
            | | | |
            | | | |
            | | | |
            | | | |
            | | | |
            | | | |
            | | | |
            | | | |

            I suppose if you wanted, you could hook the tongs over the
            waistband...

            Hope this helps!

            Tasha

            http://im.yahoo.com