Blind King Jan/John

  • Alastair Millar
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2, 2000
      Now I know this is going to surprise people, but this actually refers to
      something AFTER the year 1100...

      I'm in the middle of re-reading Barabra Tuchman's take on 14th century
      Western Europe "A Distant Mirror" - mostly not on-topic, but highly
      recommended anyway! This snippet concerns the character and the death of
      King John...

      [quote]

      Blind King John of Bohemia... loved fighting for its own sake, not caring
      whether the conflict was important. He missed hardly a quarrel in Europe and
      entered tournaments in between, allegedly receiving in one of them the wound
      that blinded him. His subjects, on the other hand, said the cause was Divine
      punishment - not because he dug up the old synagogue of Prague, which he
      did, but because, on finding money concealed beneath the pavement, he was
      moved by greed and the advice of German knights to dig up the tomb of St
      Adalbert in the Prague cathedral, and was stricken blind by the desecrated
      saint.

      As an ally of Philip VI [of France], at the head of 500 knight, the
      sightless King fought the English through Picardy, always rash and in the
      avant-garde. At Crecy he asked his knights to lead him deeper into the
      battle so that he might strike further blows with his sword. Twelve of them
      tied their horses' reins together and, with the King at their head, advanced
      into the thick of the fight, "so far as never to return". His body found
      next day among his knights, all slain with their horses still tied together.

      [unquote]

      Cheers!

      Alastair

      Alastair

      A far-away country of which we know little:
      "Bohemia: a desert country near the sea"
      [Shakespeare: Winter's Tale, III.iii, stage direction]