RE: [sig] Russian / English name

  • Kies, Lisa
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 31 1:56 PM
      -----Original Message-----
      From: Castalia
      >>How much contact was there between period Russia and England? Was
      >>there 'significant' contact such that I can make a case for a mixed
      >>English/Russian name?

      My SCA name is exactly such a construction. Sofya is a Russian living in
      England. Her English neighbors cannot say her full Russian name, but have
      given her another, "la Rus."

      There are two fairly obvious ways I could have gotten to England in the late
      13th/early 14th cent. - either via pilgrims/Crusaders in Constantinople or
      merchants via Hanseatic League and Germany. There is little historical
      evidence of direct contact between Russian and England prior to the time of
      Ivan the Terrible, but lots of indirect possibilities.

      In service,
      Sofya la Rus