Re: [sig] Names in general (not shortening)

  • MHoll@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 31, 2000
      In a message dated 3/30/2000 3:45:07 PM Central Standard Time,
      rjwelenc@... writes:

      >Where would I find out when the guy was canonized (if he was canonized in
      > period, I can guess his
      > name may have been diminutized and feminized to give feminine given names
      > (i.e., Ada). Also where would I go to check out this assumption?

      In Russian, while some names have a masc. and a fem. form, most do not.
      Unless the feminine form of a masculine name can be documented specifically,
      don't go there.
      I know, you're not actually looking for a Russian name, but I think the same
      rule may be applied to Slavic cultures in general, of at least I'd advise to
      err on the side of caution, if you're interested in a properly period form.
      So you're back to looking for a feminine name, I'm afraid.

      Predslava.