Re: [sig] Czechoslovak names

  • Krista Harjamaki
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 30 7:06 PM
      > I am afraid "Ada" do not sounds enough nor Czech nor Slovak both from
      > modern and medieval view point. I would like to call your attention
      > names as Anna, Maria, Hanna, Jirina, Lubka, Jana, Zuzka ... everyone
      > will know where from you are.
      >
      > Ciao
      >
      > Alexander

      Ahoj Alexander... Ada is a diminutive of Adalbert... born in Bohemia, but
      as I have recently learned Adalbert was the name chosen at baptism and not a
      czech name, thus Ada is out. No biggie. I wasn't that attached to it.
      What I'm wondering, is where do I find czech names. Believe me "go to your
      library" is not going to help this time unless anyone has specific book
      suggestions. I've been to two libraries over several hours and found nil.
      The names you list above are a wonderful start... could you give me just a
      bit more of a shove in the right direction?

      Dekuju.

      Aveline
    • vespirus@socrates.berkeley.edu
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 1, 2000
        On Thu, 30 Mar 2000, Krista Harjamaki wrote:
        > What I'm wondering, is where do I find czech names. Believe me "go to
        > your library" is not going to help this time unless anyone has
        > specific book suggestions. I've been to two libraries over several
        > hours and found nil. ... could you give me just a bit more of a shove
        > in the right direction?

        There is nothing in English I'm aware of, which is why I put together that
        little article on Common Names. However as I hinted before, the SIG
        Bibliography listing for names sources should be updated soon -- probably
        when the next Slovo comes out. You'll be able to tell when the page has
        been updated because there will be a new separate section for "Czech and
        Slovak" Names. The section will list just about all the books SCA heralds
        are aware of on the subject of medieval Czech and Slovak names.

        --Walraven