Re: [sig] Bulgaria, Slavonia & Pechenegs

  • vespirus@socrates.berkeley.edu
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 30, 2000
      On Thu, 30 Mar 2000, Alastair Millar wrote:
      > Does anyone have a handy URL )or even something that they can post) for an
      > outline history of
      > (b) Slavonia, the bit between Hungary and Croatia? (which I *think included
      > Smyrnia)

      Everything I've found is included on the Croatian Knowledge Page at
      http://www.geocities.com/Athens/1336/croatia/
      A lot of this is on the Croatian national homepage at http://www.hr/

      Slavonia was a province in the Kingdom of Croatia and Dalmatia, and then
      in the combined kingdom with Hungary. At that point, the joint king
      assigned a "Ban" to rule Croatia & Dalmatia, and another to rule Slavonia.
      Slavonia today is the NE part of Croatia -- the long, skinny part that
      runs east from Zagreb.

      --Walraven