Re: [sig] Russian / English name

  • Jenn/Yana
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 30, 2000
      At 04:27 PM 3/30/00 -0500, you wrote:
      >Greetings to the onomasochists of the list!

      Hi! (this is Paul using Yana's account)

      >How much contact was there between period Russia and England? Was
      >there 'significant' contact such that I can make a case for a mixed
      >English/Russian name?

      Yes.

      >"Lin" I can convert to an English surname to match the locative,
      >thereby shortcircuiting any problems with making it into a proper
      >patronymic.
      >
      >"Kira" I can't document anywhere else other than Paul's dictionary,
      >hence the opening query.

      Kira is a Greek name so you can do it as Russian-English or as
      a Ancient Greek-English name. Either way, it is registerable.

      -- Paul
    • MHoll@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 30, 2000
        In a message dated 3/30/2000 3:37:31 PM Central Standard Time,
        rjwelenc@... writes:

        > The lady wants the name "Kira Lin of Mountain Island."

        Actually, the way she wants the name to be, the question is really, would
        such a name work in England. In Russia, her byname(s) would have been
        Russified, therefore the sound would have been changed.

        I also need to repeat that "Linn" is a masculine name in Russian.

        Predslava.