Re: Russian Language & Another question about garb

  • MHoll@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 25 , Jul 29, 1999
      In a message dated 7/25/99 9:46:05 PM Central Daylight Time,
      gfrux@... writes:

      > It would be great to have a class or workshop on this epic as it has layers
      > and
      > layers of material in it.

      *A* class? Just to touch on the question of the various polemics connected
      with the _Song_ would take up hundreds of pages! And that's without going
      into any details! :-)

      The first argument between scholars being the authenticity of the text as a
      medieval work. I, for one, having read it, choose to believe it is an
      authentic medieval text.

      And Nabokov's translation is definitely *the one* to read. Including the
      notes. I repeat, *read the notes*! It's really worth the effort. Nabokov
      spent considerable effort annotating the text. It's the translation my
      husband recommends when he teaches a literature course that includes the Song
      (or Lay, or Tale).

      Predslava