Re: Name/diminutive Question

  • MHoll@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 29 8:18 PM
      In a message dated 7/29/99 9:20:40 AM Central Daylight Time,
      jdmiller2@... writes:

      > Sonia, Sofa, Sonechka
      >
      > All stresses are on the first syllable. These are the only ones I'm sure
      > of, but there are certainly others.

      Russians will make up silly diminutives based on diminutives, so others are
      probably floating around out there... Including in my own house where *Sonia*
      is sleeping right now (finally).

      If you have Sofa, you certainly have "Sofochka".

      But the ones above are all the "official" ones I can think of.

      Predslava
      (with a daughter Sonia, a sister and a niece Vera, a grandmother Liubov', so
      we're only missing a Nadezhda (Nadia) to complete the feast day of Vera
      ("faith"), Nadezhda ("hope"), Liubov' ("love", ie Charity), and their mother
      Sofiia ("wisdom").

      Unfortunately, Nadia is not among my favorite names.