Re: Slavic/ Hungarian games?

  • Jenn/Yana
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 29, 1999
      The spelling of Ibn Fadlan's name varies, but I know who you are talking
      about.

      I have only read Michael Creighton's version of Ibn Fadlan's journey
      (Eaters of the Dead), and that version is not something I would use for
      documentation. If Ibn Fadlan mentions chess in his _actual_ writings, then
      maybe we have something there. Which source are you referring to?

      More good stuff on Ibn Fadlan (and how he stacks up as a source) is at:
      http://www.realtime.com/~gunnora/ibn_fdln.htm

      This is the shortcut to Gunnora's (the Viking Answer Lady) article. If you
      want to explore the whole site use:
      http://www.realtime.com/~gunnora/
      To get to the Ibn Fadlan article click on "Settlements".

      Gunnora also has an article on Viking games and says that chess was
      introduced in _Scandinavia_ in the eleventh and twelfth centuries. Your
      mileage my vary.

      And yes, Predslava, you are right. "The Mill" DOES appear to be
      Nine-Men-Morris.

      Ilyana Barsova (Yana) jdmiller2@...
      http://www.sit.wisc.edu/~jdmiller2
      Slavic Interest Group http://www.uwplatt.edu/~goldschp/slavic.html
    • lxe-bhoy@xxxxxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 8, 1999
        On Thu, 29 Jul 1999 11:38:33 -0500, Jenn/Yana wrote:

        > From: Jenn/Yana <jdmiller2@...>
        >
        > The spelling of Ibn Fadlan's name varies, but I know who you are talking
        > about.
        >
        > I have only read Michael Creighton's version of Ibn Fadlan's journey
        > (Eaters of the Dead), and that version is not something I would use for
        > documentation. If Ibn Fadlan mentions chess in his _actual_ writings,
        then
        > maybe we have something there. Which source are you referring to?
        >
        > More good stuff on Ibn Fadlan (and how he stacks up as a source) is at:
        > http://www.realtime.com/~gunnora/ibn_fdln.htm

        in case any one does not know or is interested Creightons eaters of the
        dead is now a movie the 13tyh warrior in thearters soon

      • David Andersson
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 9, 1999
          Priviet,

          I did not respond to the original post because:

          1. I had never heard of Crichton's story "Eaters of the dead".

          2. The idea that serious or semi-serious historical debate would included
          referencing an fictional novel nonplussed me :)

          3. If I understand you correctly, the movie 13th Warrior is based (however
          loosely) on Ibn Fadlan's journey to the Rus? Is it very good?

          4. Is there an Internet site. Seems everytjing else has one :)

          Sincerely,

          David Andersson

          > On Thu, 29 Jul 1999 11:38:33 -0500, Jenn/Yana wrote:
          >
          > > From: Jenn/Yana <jdmiller2@...>
          > >
          > > The spelling of Ibn Fadlan's name varies, but I know who you are talking
          > > about.
          > >
          > > I have only read Michael Creighton's version of Ibn Fadlan's journey
          > > (Eaters of the Dead), and that version is not something I would use for
          > > documentation. If Ibn Fadlan mentions chess in his _actual_ writings,
          > then
          > > maybe we have something there. Which source are you referring to?
          > >
          > > More good stuff on Ibn Fadlan (and how he stacks up as a source) is at:
          > > http://www.realtime.com/~gunnora/ibn_fdln.htm
          > >

          > in case any one does not know or is interested Creightons eaters of the
          > dead is now a movie the 13tyh warrior in thearters soon

          > Get FREE voicemail, fax and email at http://voicemail.excite.com
          > Talk online at http://voicechat.excite.com

          > Congratulations to Richard van den Brink
          > This week's FRIENDS & FAMILY WINNER!
          > To enter go to http://www.onelist.com/info/onereachsplash3.html

        • Gregory Frux
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 9, 1999
            David Andersson wrote:

            > From: "David Andersson" <d.andersson@...>
            >
            > Priviet,
            >
            > I did not respond to the original post because:
            >
            > 1. I had never heard of Crichton's story "Eaters of the dead".
            >
            > 2. The idea that serious or semi-serious historical debate would included
            > referencing an fictional novel nonplussed me :)
            >
            > 3. If I understand you correctly, the movie 13th Warrior is based (however
            > loosely) on Ibn Fadlan's journey to the Rus? Is it very good?
            >
            > 4. Is there an Internet site. Seems everytjing else has one :)
            >
            > Sincerely,
            >
            > David Andersson

            One site I know of:

            http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Guild/9632/index.html

            The armor, at least, doesn't look right. Film isn't out quite yet.

            Peotr