Re: [sig] collegium class

  • vespirus@socrates.berkeley.edu
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 14, 2000
      On Tue, 14 Mar 2000, sheila widmaier wrote:
      > I've been asked to do a class on 'being russian in the SCA', at
      > a collegium this fall,...any suggestions on what exactly to do?

      Let's see. You could give a 5 minute sweeping survey of Russian history,
      a 5 minute introduction to the language, a 5 minute introduction to naming
      practices, a 5 minute lament on the fact that they had no heraldry, a 5
      minute introduction to sewing and costuming, 5 minutes on cooking. . . .

      But seriously, it probably depends to some degree on what you feel most
      comfortable with yourself. Don't feel you have to have all the answers
      and to present everything. You should be prepared and willing to say "I
      don't know" if someone asks you a question, and better still if you're
      prepared to say "Here's somewhere you can go to find out."

      The most useful thing you can give people is some basic overview, a few
      detailed specifics, and a list of sources for more information on each
      point that's likely to be of interest.

      --Walraven
    • Jenn/Yana
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 15, 2000
        >On Tue, 14 Mar 2000, sheila widmaier wrote:
        >> I've been asked to do a class on 'being russian in the SCA', at
        >> a collegium this fall,...any suggestions on what exactly to do?

        I don't have a suggestion for your class, but I do have another suggestion.
        It is a good idea to have some SIG materials on hand, especially contact
        information. We have flyers and contact cards (like business cards)
        available for anyone to copy and hand out. I can send you some masters and
        you could get the copied and have them available. On a side note, does
        anyone here have the ability to make pdf files? I've been wanting to put
        the SIG flyer and contact cards on the web so that people could copy it at
        their need/leisure. Volunteers?

        --Yana
      • Judwiga Czarnpica
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 15, 2000
          I would suggest contacting Mistress Soroya of Odessa, or Ludimillia. Soraya
          does a wonderful class on it, and if you could see her class notes it may help
          you. I much enjoyed the class!!
          Judwiga