Re: paleocontact

  • Alastair Millar
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 9, 2000
      Gjoko -

      Firstly, people have always had a tendency to ascribe monumental buidlings
      of the past to "other races", "gods" or (more recently) "aliens". The Greeks
      considered Mycaenae to have been built by giants, and even today this kind
      of close fitting, unmortared masonry is call "Cyclopean" as a result. This
      presumably stems from the logic of an inferiority complex - "we can't do it,
      but we can't be dumber than our ancestors, therefore..."

      However, the fact remains that the actual *evidence* for palaeocontact is
      extremely weak, and is usually presented by people like Erich von Daniken -
      who was convicted of fraud in his native Switzerland before writing
      "Chariots of the Gods", the book which essentially created the "aliens were
      responsible" hypothesis.

      Given the geographical limits and time-frame covered by this list, can you
      provide any pre-1650 references to such phenomena as you describe?

      Alastair