Re: [sig] Russian folktale question

  • LiudmilaV@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 9, 2000
      In a message dated 3/9/2000 8:07:34 AM Pacific Standard Time,
      jdmiller2@... writes:

      << I used to own a collection of Russian folktales, called On
      Seashore Far a Green Oak Towers, and there was a poem at the very beginning
      about a chained cat that walked in circles and told tales, and I am trying
      to find out what the name of this poem is, so that I can find a copy of it.
      I was wondering if anyone over there might have any idea what poem it is
      I'm talking about? >>

      Hello!

      This is not a folktale, this is a prologue from Pushkin's Ruslan and
      Liudmila. It can be found in almost any collection of Pushkin's poetry by
      itself, or in the actual poem.

      Liudmila :)
    • Jenn/Yana
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 9, 2000
        Hmm, I wonder why that particular tale would stick in Liudmila's memory?
        Thanks for the info, I am passing it on to the querant.

        --Yana

      • MHoll@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 9, 2000
          In a message dated 3/9/2000 11:48:52 AM Central Standard Time,
          jdmiller2@... writes:

          > Hmm, I wonder why that particular tale would stick in Liudmila's memory?

          For the same reason I almost know it by heart -- we love it!

          Predslava.
        • LiudmilaV@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 9, 2000
            In a message dated 3/9/2000 9:48:48 AM Pacific Standard Time,
            jdmiller2@... writes:

            << Hmm, I wonder why that particular tale would stick in Liudmila's memory?
            Thanks for the info, I am passing it on to the querant.

            --Yana

            Well Yana -- it's the other way around from what you'd think, I chose the
            name because of that poem. As Masha correctly noted, I love it! Pushkin
            picked the name off another poem by Zhukovsky (if I am not mistakes...it was
            someone else's work in any case), it was not a popular name in Russia at the
            time. It is now. My understanding now is that it actually is a Bohemian
            name, Chek or Slovac (someone cxorrect my geography please). Well, I am not
            changing it now...

            Liudmila