Veneti

  • Tom
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 2, 2000
      If the Veneti were Celts, then why cannot the surviving inscriptions be
      translated using Celtic variants, but are discernable using Slavic
      rootwords, viz. Slovene?
    • Alastair Millar
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 3, 2000
        Tom wrote:

        >If the Veneti were Celts, then why cannot the surviving
        >inscriptions be translated using Celtic variants, but are
        >discernable using Slavic rootwords, viz. Slovene?

        I realise that you don't mean GJC's adversaries, the Veneti in Brittany, but
        some more info. would be useful, here - Which inscriptions? On what? From
        what contexts? Dated to what period? How secure is the dating?

        I ask because my understanding is that there are precious few identifiably
        Celtic inscriptions anywhere, and that the very few that there are use Greek
        letters. This is not to say that Celts were illiterate - Caesar, I think,
        notes that they kept written records on wax tablets. These, though, are not
        exactly durable...

        If there were remnant Celtic groups around when the Slavs turned up and took
        over shortly after 500AD, then there would certainly be some linguistic
        crossover. Many modern Czech placenames, for example, have Celtic roots,
        which points to the assimilation of the earlier inhabitants when the Slavs
        moved in ("Hey you, what's that called...?").

        Thoughts, anyone?

        Alastair

        Alastair Millar <alastair@...>
        url: http:// www.skriptorium.cz