Slavic Migration - not true?

  • Tom
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2000
      I have heard repeated several times the common eurohistorical staple that
      the Slavs migrated into central Europe in the 6th century CE, having
      originated somewhere around the Priapet swamps.

      At risk of sounding obtuse, I ask if anyone knows of any archaeological
      evidence to support the Priapet origin theory? If there can be made a
      cogent argument for the Slavs simply traipsing through eastern Europe,
      transiting the lands of the Goths, to settle in what history and
      archaeology know to be already populated and controlled territories?

      The Migration theory seems to have arisen within the last 150 years and was
      largely promulgated by nationalistic interests within the German schools of
      history and linguistics, aided by PanSlavism of Russia.

      When German nationalism required that Slavs be seen as invaders and not
      indigenes (as evidenced by toponyms throughout central Europe) and Russian
      nationalism & ethnicism required that Russia be thought of as the
      Fatherland of all Slavs, can a theory so central to their political agendas
      hold water over time? Could it not also be better off in disuse, along
      with the German theory of "Proto-Germanic" peoples being the rootstock for
      central European cultures?

      I am reading a very deeply-researched and extensively-footnoted book,
      _VENETI_ by Jozko Savli, Matej Bor, and Ivan Tomazic, which presents in
      great detail a body of evidence suggesting a much older Slavic presence in
      central Europe, indeed, a Proto-Slavic culture contemporary with the
      Proto-IndoEuropean one. Read about this book:

      http://www.dangel.net/JimsHomePageFolder/Veneti.html
      http://www.netbase2.com/slovenia/press/veneti.htm
      http://www.angelfire.com/wa/gorsha/VenetiFollowUp.html

      In reading it, your opinion on the Migration theory may well indeed be
      changed, as was mine.

      Proud to be a WEND,
      Tom Tetzlaff