Re: Czech ethnogenesis

  • Alastair Millar
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2000
      Jeff/Janos wrote:

      >Do I understand correctly that the Czechs did not arrive as
      >a tribe, but became a tribe later?

      Well, the people who are NOW the Czechs were formed from the assimilation of
      other groups... like the people who are NOW the English. I suspect that, as
      with the English, there was a large initial population that later absorbed
      other, culturally-diverse, elements.

      The first Slavic settlers in Bohemia would have assimilated (perhaps
      forcibly) the disorganised remnant Germanic and/or other populations already
      in the area. Tr'es'tik is saying that the differences between the various
      groups of these settlers (which we can assume included some sort of
      "proto-Czechs" and/or the West Bohemian Lutice, the Croats who had settled
      NE Bohemia, plus presumably Sorbs/Wends along the northern fringes), and the
      "latecomers" all disappeared during the 6th-7th centuries. This gave rise
      to the group that we now call "Czechs".

      >What is the ethnic relation (if any) between the Czechs and the Wends,
      >Poles, and Red Croatians?

      At a guess... they're all Slavs! [grin].

      >Did members of those nations become Czechs?
      >And from what people(s) were the Czechs formed into a tribe?

      I think that it is fairly clear that some members of these groups were
      absorbed into the "Czechs" - see above.

      These are the big questions of early Czech history, right now. Many still
      believe (or prefer to believe) the old legend of "Forefather Czech" who led
      his people across the great river (the Elbe) and up R'ip hill, and there
      planted
      his standard, saying "My people have travelled enough, this is a rich and
      fertile land for them to live in".

      Personally, I've always thought it more likely that after fording one of
      Europe's major rivers and climbing a damn great hill to get a look at where
      he was going, he said something like "stuff it, I'm not walking another
      *!%$#* mile in this weather...".

      Cheers!

      Alastair

      Alastair Millar <alastair@...>