Slavic Migrations

  • Bob Markovitch
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 28, 2000
      > The Slavic migration . . . two
      > main flows - one north of the Carpathians, and one in the south, testing
      the
      > borders of the Byzantine Empire. Settlers in Bohemia during the 7th
      century
      > found themselves trying to accomodate an influx of still-migrant
      northbound
      > Slavs in the 8th, for example.
      >
      > Some ethnic (?) groups seem to have contributed members to each of the
      main
      > flows - so there were the (now-vanished) Croats in Bohemia, while even
      today
      > there are Czech-speaking "remnant" minorities in Croatia and the Ukraine.
      We
      > shouldn't let this surprise us - . . .historically Chorvat/Charvat could
      > refer to either a Balkan Croat or a Bohemian Croat. Makes translating
      fun...

      Yes, fun, that's why I'm here!

      But I'm still surprised!

      I understand that White Croats left what was recently called Halychyna
      (Galicia)-SE Poland/W Ukraine, but didn't think this area went west of about
      Cracow. Croats from Bohemia? Is this thought to be the origin of the Red
      Croats???.

      Also , from where south did Slavs enter Bohemia? I have heard of
      Slavic settlements as far west as Regensburg,Bavaria in the south, and even
      supposedly Hamburg Bremen in the north!

      I'd like to learn more about these issues.

      Svyatoslav Izbornyk