Red Book

  • Alastair Millar
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 26, 2000
      Forgive me if I'm lighting a candle in the sunshine, here...
      I've just found a great on-line resource chock full of all sorts of
      interesting stuff - the Red Book of the Peoples of the Russian Empire.
      (http://www.eki.ee/books/redbook/)

      According to the table of contents, the peoples it discusses include the
      Abazians (Abaza), Abkhaz, Aguls, Akhvakhs, Aleuts, Altaics, Aliutors, Andis,
      Archis, Asiatic Eskimos, Bagulals, Baraba Tatars, Bartangs, Bats, Bezhtas,
      Botlikhs, Budukhs, Central Asian Jews, Chamalals, Chukchis, Chulym Tatars,
      Crimean Jews, Crimean Tatars, Didos, Dolgans, Enets, Evens, Evenks, Georgian
      Jews, Godoberis, Hinukhs, Hunzibs, Ingrians, Ishkashmis, Itelmens,
      Izhorians, Kamas, Karaims, Karatas, Karelians, Kereks, Kets, Khakass,
      Khants, Khinalugs, Khufis, Khvarshis, Kola Lapps, Koryaks, Kryz, Kurds,
      Lithuanian Tatars, Livonians, Mansis, Mountain Jews, Nanais, Negidals,
      Nenets, Nganasans, Nivkhs, Nogays, Orochis, Oroks, Oroshoris, Peoples of the
      Pamirs, Roshanis, Rutuls, Selkups, Shors, Shughnis, Tabasarans, Talysh, Tats
      (Tatians), Tindis, Tofalars, Trukhmens (Turkhmens), Tsakhurs, Udeghes, Udis,
      Ulchis, Veps, Votes, Wakhs, Yaghnabis, Yazgulamis, Yukaghirs.

      <gasps for breath>

      There is a reasonable overview of the histories of each of these (going back
      to the 14th century for the Lithuanian Tatars, for example), along with
      notes on langauge, culture, religion etc.

      Must be something in that lot to interest someone, surely?

      Cheers!

      Alastair

      Alastair Millar <alastair@...>
      url: http:// www.skriptorium.cz