Slav/Slave

  • Christine Jacobs
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 28, 1999
      Not to fuel a fire, but I really was interested in the etymology, and
      believe it or not, this very discussion is taking place over on
      soc.history.medieval right now (see the thread titled: Re: Slav and
      Slave (Was RE: Wars between France and Spain)). I've taken the liberty
      of forwarding one of the posts in its entirety; I found it interesting.

      -- Kseniia

      **FORWARDED from soc.history.medieval**

      radamec@... wrote:

      > In article <7mcj5f$kj9$1@...>,
      > isma@... wrote:
      >

      > > BTW, Fletcher, affirms in his book "El Cid" that the word "Slave" (and its
      > > equivalents in French & Spanish) comes from the Latin word for "Slav"
      > > (Sclavus).
      > >
      > > He also speaks about an active slave trade between Central Europe and Muslim
      > > Spain (via Prague and Verdoun) during IX-XI centuries. Most of the slaves
      > > were bought to join the Army (about 50,000 men in the times of Al-Mansur) and
      > > the bureaucracy.
      > >
      > > Ismael
      >
      > The following is a copy of my recent post on the subject in
      > soc.genealogy.slavic:
      >
      > It is my understanding that the word used in classical Rome was "servus". The
      > expression "sclavus" came into usage later in the middle ages, when captive
      > Slavs were used as slaves by the Germanic peoples. It is interesting to know
      > that a great deal of those slaves were actually captured by other Slaves in
      > the inter-tribe Slavic unification wars. They were used as slaves locally,
      > and surplus was sold to foreign traders. I read is somewhere that the slave
      > market of Prague was actually the economic basis for the creation of the
      > Bohemian state. Those who are offended by this should realize that the
      > Slavs undoubtedly used Germanic captives as slaves. The only difference was
      > that the Germans managed to get the expression into common usage. -- Radek
      > Adamec

      Lady Kseniia Smol'nyanina mka: Christine Jacobs
      of Mountain Freehold chrstnj@...

      http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Chamber/3079

      "I shall never permit myself to stoop so low as to hate another man."
      - Booker T. Washington