Horseflesh

  • Alastair Millar
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 2, 2000
      Predslava wrote:

      >I vaguely recall that Asian nomads ate horseflesh. To this day, it's not
      >considered "normal" food by Russians, and the medieval Chronicles
      >noted the fact of horse-eating as a sign of extreme famine.

      I have no references to back this up, but I think that the Huns refused to
      eat horseflesh.If I remember rightly, a Hunnish force was besieged in
      Ravenna, and surrendered. When asked why they had surrendered when all the
      horses could have fed them for weeks, the Huns replied that there were some
      things that they just would not do...

      Culturally logical, actually - if you're in the middle of a vast, desolate
      steppe you need a horse to have any hope of getting anywhere. On foot,
      you're carrion waiting for somewhere to drop.

      Horse-flesh is still to be seen in the butchers' here in the good ol' CR,
      but I'm told that it tastes pretty grim.

      Hot dog, anyone?

      Alastair in Prague
    • Anne
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 2, 2000
        > Culturally logical, actually - if you're in the middle of a vast, desolate
        > steppe you need a horse to have any hope of getting anywhere. On foot,
        > you're carrion waiting for somewhere to drop.

        I think my prof for Central Asian Civ (long ago) said that some of these
        nomads would drink the horses' blood...never enough to hurt the animal,
        making it still usable and keeping themselves alive in times of dire need...

        --Sofya Chyudka