Re: Food questions

  • petzserg
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 1, 2000
      Just a question...Pirozhki are the usually poistni pastry not using eggs,
      butter et c. and filled with fried cabbage and onion? If so , when they are
      folded in a certain way (two slices in the middle an folded over each other
      to allow the filling to show through. Could this be the crescent rolls? hank
      s ahead of time
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 2, 2000
        In a message dated 2/1/2000 9:42:44 PM Central Standard Time,
        petzserg@... writes:

        > Just a question...Pirozhki are the usually poistni pastry not using eggs,
        > butter et c. and filled with fried cabbage and onion?

        Pirozhki can be lenten or not. The pastry used for them varies, but it's
        usually a bread-type dough, and if they're filled with meat, then it's a rich
        dough with butter and eggs.

        > If so , when they are
        > folded in a certain way (two slices in the middle an folded over each other
        > to allow the filling to show through.

        Actually, it's a circle, folded down the middle over the filling -- one piece
        of dough.

        > Could this be the crescent rolls?

        If you mean, are they crescent-shaped? Not really, just a pudgy half-circle.
        If you mean can one une croissant dough? It's a complicated dough to make
        from scratch. If you mean can one use the store-bought refrigerated
        crescent-roll dough? It's very awkward to work.

        If you really don't want to make the dough from scratch, then you can use
        puff pastry sheets, or pie dough. But yeast dough is best.

        Some cooks fry the pirozhki, some bake them. My mother does the latter, and
        brushes each pirozhok with a yolk glaze before baking.

        Pirogi (full-size pies) are made the same way, except they're baked in one
        big piece and cut instead of being baked into finger-food sized pastries.

        Predslava.
      • Jenn/Yana
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 2, 2000
          On the subject of pirozhki:

          I have seen recipes for sour cream dough, yeast doughs and shortcrust
          pastry (like pie crust). In Molokhovets' book "A Gift for Young
          Houswives", she refers to boiled doughs and puff-pastry pirozhki too. She
          also has one recipe (#221) that says you can make them horn-shaped
          (crescents!) or fold them in half "like books", which could look like
          rectangles, possibly. In size, pirozhki can vary from palm-sized or so
          (think finger food) to bigger (think big handful) . Now of course, I am
          working from modern cookbooks, both English and Russian-language and from
          food I have eaten cooked by Americanized Russians. But we know that
          medieval Russians had some sort of small filled pies that are perfect for
          SCAers to try to recreate. They would make a great lunch item to take to
          an event.

          --Yana
        • Patricia Hefner
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 2, 2000
            > On the subject of pirozhki:
            >
            > I have seen recipes for sour cream dough, yeast doughs and shortcrust
            > pastry (like pie crust). In Molokhovets' book "A Gift for Young
            > Houswives", she refers to boiled doughs and puff-pastry pirozhki too.

            Yana--Hey, how can I get hold of this book, or at least one like it? I'm
            getting interested in cooking, I think I'd like to enter A&S competitions in
            the cooking category.

            Dekuji!
            Isabelle
            patricia.hefner@...
          • Jenn/Yana
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 2, 2000
              >Yana--Hey, how can I get hold of this book, or at least one like it? I'm
              >getting interested in cooking, I think I'd like to enter A&S competitions in
              >the cooking category.

              It isn't a period text, it is 19th century. Don't use it for A&S
              documentation. You can order it in English under the title "Classic
              Russian Cooking" translated by Joyce Toomre. Further bib info is on the
              Russian KNowledge Page under "Food".

              --Yana
            • Jenn/Yana
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 2, 2000
                >Further bib info is on the
                >Russian KNowledge Page under "Food".

                Actually, I haven't put up the English biblio info yet (was brushing my
                teeth and had a "doh!" revelation). Here you go:

                Classic Russian Cooking: Elena Molokhovets' A Gift to Young Houswives.
                Translated and introduced by Joyce Toomre. Indiana University Press. 1992.

                I bought my copy at Barnes and Noble, most bookstores will be able to order
                it if it isn't on the shelf.

                --Yana
              • Patricia Hefner
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 2, 2000
                  I'm> >getting interested in cooking, I think I'd like to enter A&S
                  competitions in
                  > >the cooking category.
                  >

                  > It isn't a period text, it is 19th century. Don't use it for A&S
                  > documentation.

                  OK, but I think cooking anything like that will improve my over-all cooking
                  skills. Taking something from the 19th century to A&S is about like entering
                  a pound cake!! :-) I really need practice in the art of cooking, period.
                  That's why not all my stuff at this point is even period. That's not the
                  issue right now.

                  Dekuji!
                  Isabelle
                  patricia.hefner@...
                • Jenne Heise
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 3, 2000
                    Relatively unrelated but very odd...
                    after last week's event, I had three leftover loaves of dark bread. So I
                    went looking for the Black Bread Soup (probably OOP) recipe that I knew I
                    had. In the Culinary Institute's Polish cookbook, I found both the black
                    bread soup recipe AND three recipes for kvas-- all of which they listed as
                    SOUP BASE RECIPES.
                    How very odd.

                    disclaimer: i speak for no-one and no-one speaks for me...

                    "You do not lead by hitting people over the head -- that's assault,
                    not leadership." Dwight D. Eisenhower