Re: Question...

  • Jenn/Yana
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2000
      >Does anyone have any information regarding what was used for tents/pavilions
      >in late 15th-century (ca. 1450-75) Novgorod? I'm of two minds on the issue...
      >
      >1) The yurt/ger, introduced by the Mongols, and
      >2) A western-European style pavilion...

      The only tents that I have ever seen depicted in Russian art as being used
      by Russians (well, at least non-Mongols) looked more "Western" than Mongol.
      Sorry, I don't have cites, just going off memory here and hoping it'll
      poke someone else to look it up.

      --Yana
    • Kies, Lisa
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2000
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 1, 2000
          >Just look at the scans of the miniatures on the SIG website... There are
          >several depictions of tents scattered in the story of Alexander Nevsky.

          Doh! I knew I had seen them recently! Got the book right next to the
          computer desk too. I'm really pathetic.

          --Yana