Re: "Ancient" Cherry "Honey" (beverage)

  • Jenne Heise
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1 7:37 AM
      > I just had to forward this recipe to the list. I believe that the "honey"
      > that Olga (the author) refers to in the title of the recipe is actually
      > "mead" (it is the same word in Russian, for good reason). We know that the
      > Russians made flavored meads and that they ate cherries, so a cherry mead
      > may not be far off track. This is what I would call a "plausibly period"
      > recipe, after all, we don't have any actual documentation (I wouldn't ever
      > claim this was really period, and we don't have an original recipe. I
      > would love for someone to try this out and tell us about it. Even though
      > Olga says it isn't alcoholic, I'm sure that after sitting three months, it
      > is probably going to get a little alcoholic. :)

      All my books are still in a box in the car after the Polish/Russian
      cooking lecture... but I'm fairly sure that cherry mead is mentioned
      either in _Bread and Salt_ or _Food and Drink in Medieval Poland_ as
      period or early 1600's. I also think that in the Domostroi cherry juice is
      mentioned as a drink flavoring...

      disclaimer: i speak for no-one and no-one speaks for me...

      "You do not lead by hitting people over the head -- that's assault,
      not leadership." Dwight D. Eisenhower
    • Jenn/Yana
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1 7:42 AM
        >All my books are still in a box in the car after the Polish/Russian
        >cooking lecture... but I'm fairly sure that cherry mead is mentioned
        >either in _Bread and Salt_ or _Food and Drink in Medieval Poland_ as
        >period or early 1600's. I also think that in the Domostroi cherry juice is
        >mentioned as a drink flavoring...

        Cherry juice is mentioned as a drink on its own and a drink flavoring, but
        I don't remember in what types of drinks. I'll look when I get home.

        --Yana
      • Michael Suggs
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 1 2:11 PM
          >I would love for someone to try this out and tell us about it.

          Did I mention I brew? Both beer and mead (and hopefully wine soon,
          too). I've been itching to do a cyser (apple mead), but maybe I
          can find cherries enough for this... yummy yummy yummy... :)

          Plans are right now to attend Pennsic this year, maybe... I might
          luck into a 2- or 4-week "immersion language training" trip to
          St. Petersburg this fall; dates TBA, but it may overlap... We'll
          see. If I make it to Pennsic, and I get a batch of this mead made,
          bank on my bringing it there....

          --Misha