"Ancient" Cherry "Honey" (beverage)

  • Jenn/Yana
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1 7:33 AM
      I just had to forward this recipe to the list. I believe that the "honey"
      that Olga (the author) refers to in the title of the recipe is actually
      "mead" (it is the same word in Russian, for good reason). We know that the
      Russians made flavored meads and that they ate cherries, so a cherry mead
      may not be far off track. This is what I would call a "plausibly period"
      recipe, after all, we don't have any actual documentation (I wouldn't ever
      claim this was really period, and we don't have an original recipe. I
      would love for someone to try this out and tell us about it. Even though
      Olga says it isn't alcoholic, I'm sure that after sitting three months, it
      is probably going to get a little alcoholic. :)

      --Yana

      Hello my dear subscribers,
      Today we are talking about Russian ancient and unfairly forgotten
      beverages.

      Honey beverage was an obligatory drink of
      the nobility. Monastery honey beverages were known as
      the most famous. Many tzars sent their cooks to perfect
      honey cooking skills to monasteries. There were so many
      different honeys: White Honey, Red Honey, Boyar Honey,
      Simple Honey and so on. But they made distinctions of
      two ways of cooking: there were boiled and drawn honeys.
      To improve the taste and colour, they could add fruit juices
      or berries. Diluted with juice, honey didn't contain any
      alcohol and was considered as the most splendid vitaminous
      beverage.

      MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

      Title: Ancient Cherry Honey
      Categories: Beverages, Russian
      Yield:
      1 kg honey
      2 c water
      2 kg cherries

      Put honey in enamel pan, add water and boil stirring regularly
      and taking froth off. Put well washed cherries without bones
      in the bottle with a narrow neck and pour warm syrup over.
      Cover bottle with a wet sheet and leave in a warm place for three
      days to ferment. After that cork the neck with a sackcloth
      up and put in the cellar. You can taste honey beverage three
      months later, it will be as better as longer will be season.
      MMMMM

      Bon Appetit!
      Olga.
    • Jenne Heise
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1 7:37 AM
        > I just had to forward this recipe to the list. I believe that the "honey"
        > that Olga (the author) refers to in the title of the recipe is actually
        > "mead" (it is the same word in Russian, for good reason). We know that the
        > Russians made flavored meads and that they ate cherries, so a cherry mead
        > may not be far off track. This is what I would call a "plausibly period"
        > recipe, after all, we don't have any actual documentation (I wouldn't ever
        > claim this was really period, and we don't have an original recipe. I
        > would love for someone to try this out and tell us about it. Even though
        > Olga says it isn't alcoholic, I'm sure that after sitting three months, it
        > is probably going to get a little alcoholic. :)

        All my books are still in a box in the car after the Polish/Russian
        cooking lecture... but I'm fairly sure that cherry mead is mentioned
        either in _Bread and Salt_ or _Food and Drink in Medieval Poland_ as
        period or early 1600's. I also think that in the Domostroi cherry juice is
        mentioned as a drink flavoring...

        disclaimer: i speak for no-one and no-one speaks for me...

        "You do not lead by hitting people over the head -- that's assault,
        not leadership." Dwight D. Eisenhower
      • Jenn/Yana
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 1 7:42 AM
          >All my books are still in a box in the car after the Polish/Russian
          >cooking lecture... but I'm fairly sure that cherry mead is mentioned
          >either in _Bread and Salt_ or _Food and Drink in Medieval Poland_ as
          >period or early 1600's. I also think that in the Domostroi cherry juice is
          >mentioned as a drink flavoring...

          Cherry juice is mentioned as a drink on its own and a drink flavoring, but
          I don't remember in what types of drinks. I'll look when I get home.

          --Yana
        • Michael Suggs
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 1 2:11 PM
            >I would love for someone to try this out and tell us about it.

            Did I mention I brew? Both beer and mead (and hopefully wine soon,
            too). I've been itching to do a cyser (apple mead), but maybe I
            can find cherries enough for this... yummy yummy yummy... :)

            Plans are right now to attend Pennsic this year, maybe... I might
            luck into a 2- or 4-week "immersion language training" trip to
            St. Petersburg this fall; dates TBA, but it may overlap... We'll
            see. If I make it to Pennsic, and I get a batch of this mead made,
            bank on my bringing it there....

            --Misha