Question...

  • strannyk@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2000
      Vsem--

      I apologize if this is post 2 on this topic for me; my web-browser hiccupped
      when I was entering it the first time...

      Does anyone have any information regarding what was used for tents/pavilions
      in late 15th-century (ca. 1450-75) Novgorod? I'm of two minds on the issue...

      1) The yurt/ger, introduced by the Mongols, and
      2) A western-European style pavilion...

      During that time frame, the Rus' were still under the Tatar yoke, although it
      was weakening (and about to be overcome); I can understand arguments both pro
      and con the adoption of the yurt. It was a very practical tent-style, but
      it was used by those icky Mongols...

      My persona being a Novgorodian trader/merchant, he would have been exposed to
      the western pavilion, but I don't know whether he would have adopted it...
      Novgorod never quite submitted to the Tatar yoke, and continued trading with
      the west--both arguments pro-pavilion/anti-yurt...

      Bearing in mind, of course, that I'm not the least bit concerned which to go
      with; ultimately, I'll choose what the pocketbook tells me to. I'm just
      curious as to what the historybooks say.

      Bol'shoe spasibo--

      --Misha (mka Michael Suggs)
    • Jenn/Yana
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2000
        >Does anyone have any information regarding what was used for tents/pavilions
        >in late 15th-century (ca. 1450-75) Novgorod? I'm of two minds on the issue...
        >
        >1) The yurt/ger, introduced by the Mongols, and
        >2) A western-European style pavilion...

        The only tents that I have ever seen depicted in Russian art as being used
        by Russians (well, at least non-Mongols) looked more "Western" than Mongol.
        Sorry, I don't have cites, just going off memory here and hoping it'll
        poke someone else to look it up.

        --Yana
      • Kies, Lisa
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 1, 2000
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 1, 2000
            >Just look at the scans of the miniatures on the SIG website... There are
            >several depictions of tents scattered in the story of Alexander Nevsky.

            Doh! I knew I had seen them recently! Got the book right next to the
            computer desk too. I'm really pathetic.

            --Yana