Czech archaeology

  • Alastair Millar
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 31, 2000
      Our list-owner asked:

      >Any digs in the area that need an undergrad archeology student
      >and that would pay for my travel and housing entirely, so I could afford to
      go?

      There are a LOT of fieldwork opportunities in the Czech Rep.: too much work
      and not enough archaeologists. Expenses are pretty minimal - heck, the
      average *monthly* wage here is only about US$ 300, and a beer costs around
      30c. Local travel you'll usually get paid, and accommodation (assuming
      you're not too fussy).

      If you (or anyone else) has some field experience already - anywhere, any
      period - and can get the airfare, write to me off-list with a quick resume
      and I'll see what I can do. Be aware, though, that because most things are
      "rescue" archaeology, it is not always possible to say exactly what will be
      excavated and where - but I can try!

      (FWIW, I spent summer vacations on digs in this country three years running
      while I was still an undergrad.)

      Fare well!

      Alastair in Prague