Re: Re: Slavonic deities

  • Butler309@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 28, 2000
      In a message dated 1/25/00 8:00:58 AM Central Standard Time, alastair@...
      writes:

      > C9th burials in St George's Basilica on Prague Castle, for example, show
      > lots of lovely pre-Christian elements:

      I tried to research this a few years ago (the period way, in libraries) and
      got only scraps and speculation. Interestingly, the best stuff I found was
      at a Methodist-founded college. Such schools generally have a strong
      'comparative religion' department. Various reports (no refs, I'm at sea) say
      that pagan rites survived long after official Christianization in rural
      areas, and often blended with Catholic rites (think voodoo). In the rush to
      convert Poland, local Priests were often 'brevetted' on the fly without
      formal training. There are seldom details, and those are unreliable as the
      reports are complaints from outraged clergy apt to inflate a spring picnic
      into a full-(un)dress bacchanalia (think witch hunts).

      One Polish practice that I heard continued (continues?) into the 20th C in
      rural areas was bowing to, or 'saluting' the sunrise/sunset.

      - Steve Butler