Knowledge Pages

  • Jenn/Yana
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 17, 2000
      I am asking for a general roll-call of Knowledge Page maintainers. If you are
      a maintainer, please post to the List and tell us what you have been doing with
      your Page recently, how you feel about being a moderator, and anything else you
      can think of. Please respond so that the Group knows you are still active,
      even if you don't have much to say. I'll start us off.

      Name: Yana (Ilyana Barsova)
      Email: jdmiller2@...
      Page: Russia

      I have updated the clothing section of the Page. I am working on updating
      links, testing, finding and adding new ones. I am planning a page of common
      Russian expressions (hello, goodbye, yes, etc) to "spice up your Russian
      persona". It will be modern Russian and OCS, where possible. I believe that
      Predslava is working on the same thing, she will probably beat me to it. I am
      webbing an article called "Sex and the Orthodox Church in Medieval Russia" by
      our own Boyarin Kazimir Petrovich Pomeshanov. As I update the author/title
      index to the Slovo (yeah, I know it has been a while), I will be adding anchor
      tags to all the articles so that I (and other Page maintainers) can link the
      Page to specific sections of the newsletter. I will be adding a image gallery
      to the Page, as I have collected lots of photos of people in Russian clothing.

      I am looking for articles and/or links (I prefer articles) on
      Geography and Maps
      Embroidery
      Holidays and Festivals
      Economy and Money
      Law
      Travel
      There are other articles I would like, but these are the big ones.

      The Russian Knowledge Page currently covers Russia, Kievan Rus, Ukraine, and
      some neighbors, as well as
      ethnic groups residing in the modern day Russian Federation. I would like a
      separate Page set up for Ukraine eventually (any volunteers?), but for now I'm
      comfortable with it. As a moderator, I am enjoying this work, although I wish
      I was better at keeping on top of things and keeping the Page updated. If you
      have any suggestions or see any links that need to be added or updated, please
      let me know. FYI, I try to not use modern information, as I like to keep the
      Page as period as possible. If you have taught or attended a class that you
      feel would be useful to stick on the Russian Page, let me know (give me contact
      info too). I would like to web any handouts that I am allowed to.

      That's all I can think of right now. Next!
    • Dan Blair
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 17, 2000
        Sounds like a good idea.

        Name: Vladislav Tepelus
        Email: perrycharb@...
        Page: Romania
        Address:
        http://members.xoom.com/Cosmotopia/romania/indexr.html

        Alas I haven't updated the page in the last few
        months. I am scouring the net for new sites of
        interest and plan on going through the links to weed
        out the dead or dying.
        As I may be moving soon for a new job I may soon get
        access once again to a university library (Hooray!),
        in which case I will be able to extend my research.
        Currently I'm looking for input on any relevant topic
        whatsoever. I wuld truly love to be able to post
        someone else's research or articles to the page. I
        know there aren't many of us but anything would be
        appreciated.

        Vlad
        http://im.yahoo.com
      • Marija Kuncaitis
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 18, 2000
          Do you have anything on the Baltics? Lithuania, Latvia, Prussia?

          --
          Romuva:

          http://www.romuva.lt
          http://www.geocities.com/~Zemyna
          http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Oracle/2810
          http://www.wwa.com/~audrius/romuva
        • vespirus@socrates.berkeley.edu
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 18, 2000
            Name: Brian R. Speer (Walraven van Nijmegen)
            Email: vespirus@... -OR- baltoslavic@...

            I've got two sets of pages: Croatia & the Baltics.

            First Page: Croatia

            Sadly, I have not made many changes in the past few months. My last
            contribution to content was a list of period given names gathered from
            Gazi's "History of Croatia". Currently, I am researching a set of
            Croatian alternate titles for SCA use -- based on period practice and not
            simply modern translation.

            I am looking for links, information, pictures, and articles especially on
            the following to help flesh out the resources:
            Clothing & Embroidery
            Food
            Folklore
            Early Literature & Poetry
            Names (the current listings are first names of rulers & important folk)
            Useful Expressions List
            Geography & Maps

            Like Yana, I try to restrict links to just period information, but I don't
            think I'm as strict about that as she is. In particular, I keep a short
            list of "General" links at the top of the page. These are links to rich
            information sources such as the Croatia National Homepage and the Journal
            of Croatian Studies.

            I have not yet received any suggestions or comments about the Croatia
            page, so if you know of useful additions, or if you have found the page
            useful, please let me know. If you have a short article, class notes, or
            other information relevant to Croatia and its history, please contact me.

            Second Page: Baltics

            Only the Estonia page is fully up right now, though I hope to have the
            Latvia page up this week and the Lithuania page by the end of the month.

            Estonia Page: Hopefully, the new and expanded Estonian alternate titles
            list will be ruled on soon, and will be up on the page as soon as that
            happens. I have not found much on medieval Estonia, so information and
            links of all kinds are welcome. Especially needed are:
            History (Teutonic Knights included)
            Names (first names)
            Useful Expressions

            Latvia & Lithuania Pages: These are still under construction, but feel
            free to suggest anything you have. Again, the Latvia Page will be up very
            soon, and Lithuania within a month.
          • Jenn/Yana
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 19, 2000
              Misha wrote:
              >Now, Knowledge Page Info:

              Thanks for the information on your page, I'll have to go and take a look!
              For further clarification, what I meant by the "Knowledge Pages" is a
              project that was started by this List some time ago. We all debated what
              type of pages they would be, what kind of subject headings we would use,
              how they would be arranged and so on, so that the end result was a series
              of pages that would be easy to find, and easy to use (they all are set up
              similarly). The Pages are also a way of maintaining the extensive list of
              links that Paul had collected for SIG. The links were getting hard to keep
              up with (and hard to use) because there were so many, so we decided to help
              out by breaking them up into area-specific "Knowledge Pages". We didn't
              want the SIG editor-in-chief burning out, after all. Each page maintainer
              is supposed to keep the links up to date, hopefully seek out articles
              within the interest area and accept references of links and data that
              pertain to the specific Knowledge Page. The end result (hopefully) is a
              central place where anyone can go to find out about a specific "Slavic"
              area. So, if anyone has articles, info, links, etc that you feel belong on
              a Knowledge Page, please let that Page's maintainer know.

              For a list of the Knowledge Pages, go to
              <http://vms.www.uwplatt.edu/~goldschp/links.html>. They are at the bottom
              of the page. They are also on the monthly FAQ and under our Onelist links
              page.

              --Yana
            • Kate Jones
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 19, 2000
                Greetings!

                Name: Kat'ryna Neblaga Volchkova
                Email: kate@...
                Page: Hungary

                I haven't done anythin with the page in a while, I'll admit; I've got
                too much else on my plate.

                Kat'ryna
                --
                Kate Jones | I turned my world upside-down
                kate@... | and that's how everything landed...
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 20, 2000
                  Dear Yana,
                  I have several articles on my website that might be suitable for
                  inclusion on the Russian Knowledge Page.

                  "Russian Churches" at
                  http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/churches.html

                  "Iconography of the Russian Iconostasis" at
                  http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/iconostasis.html

                  "The Icon of the Virgin Orans Great Panagia" at
                  http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/virgin.html

                  "Medieval Russian Medicine" at
                  http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/medicine.html

                  "The Origin of the Romanov Dynasty" at
                  http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/romanov.html [see how fluid
                  "surnames" were in the 1400's and 1500's]

                  "Russian History" at http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/history.html

                  In service,
                  Sofya la Rus
                • Jenn/Yana
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 20, 2000
                    > I have several articles on my website that might be suitable for
                    >inclusion on the Russian Knowledge Page.

                    Thanks very much for the Links, I was aware of them (they just need to be
                    uploaded onto the appropriate spaces), but now everyone knows of your
                    articles! Very appropriate for our Knowledge Pages. I wish I was as
                    prolific a writer as you are. Sigh. School starts up again on Monday...
                    --Yana
                  • Paul W Goldschmidt
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 31, 2005
                      The Knowledge Pages are in a bit of disarray (well, actually the whole SIG
                      site is, but one thing at a time...).

                      Most of the pages are out of date and some have died. Perhaps we should
                      start discussing how to revive the project?

                      -- Paul
                    • MoxFool@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 31, 2005
                        I'd be willing to do the Polish one.

                        Pan Zygmunt Nadratowski, Kruki Jedzenia;
                        Middle Kingdom, Barony of the Northwoods, Shire of Talonval
                        Ward of THL Albyn Buckthorne, C.B.R.,
                        My homepage: http://members.aol.com/moxfool/zygmunt.html
                        "Winning at all costs, costs everything" - Earl Sir Ædward Stædefæste of
                        Lochac

                      • Patricia Hefner

                          Message 12 of 14 , Aug 1, 2005
                            > Most of the pages are out of date and some have
                            > died. Perhaps we should
                            > start discussing how to revive the project?
                            >
                            > -- Paul

                            I'd be happy to find/collate links and things for the
                            Russian page, though I'm terrible at HTML and don't
                            even know other webpage programming languages, so I
                            couldn't do the updating personally. But any help I
                            could provide, I'd be happy to do: my job is such that
                            I can be online 8 hours a day, with minimal
                            interference.
                            --Sfandra

                            http://mail.yahoo.com
                          • yanagroznaia
                            Message 13 of 14 , Aug 1, 2005
                              > I'd be happy to find/collate links and things for the
                              > Russian page, though I'm terrible at HTML and don't
                              > even know other webpage programming languages, so I
                              > couldn't do the updating personally. But any help I
                              > could provide, I'd be happy to do: my job is such that
                              > I can be online 8 hours a day, with minimal
                              > interference.
                              > --Sfandra

                              If someone (or many someones) could verify the existing links on the
                              Russian pages, I can do the HTML part of everything. Obviously, I
                              haven't had the time/inclination/etc to keep the Russian Knowledge
                              Page up to date, but I'm happy to just work on the programming side of
                              things.

                              The only concern I have is who is going to verify the integrity of the
                              submitted links and that they fit the parameters of the Russian
                              Knowledge Page? In the past, I did that part, but I don't have the
                              time any longer.

                              --Yana
                            • Paul W Goldschmidt
                              Message 14 of 14 , Aug 1, 2005
                                At 11:15 AM 8/1/2005, you wrote:
                                >The only concern I have is who is going to verify the integrity of the
                                >submitted links and that they fit the parameters of the Russian
                                >Knowledge Page? In the past, I did that part, but I don't have the
                                >time any longer.

                                Sounds like the Russian page might be possible to fix up as a joint
                                effort. The Polish and Czech pages look pretty good.

                                But the ones I worry about are:

                                Romania -- dead
                                Georgia -- dead

                                And the ones that have been inactive for three or more years:

                                Hungary
                                Estonia (and the Baltic pages in general)

                                While one can start by tracking down the owners, I'd really like to recruit
                                someone to organize this whole thing. Yana says she doesn't have the time
                                at this point. I'm buried in the rest of the SIG stuff (well, that is a
                                whole bunch of other projects). Is there anyone out there who'd like to
                                take on - at least on a temp basis - the process of inventorying,
                                contacting page owners, and recruiting new webmasters for the pages?

                                -- Paul