Summer Movie Time!

  • Jennifer D. Miller
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 6 3:54 PM
      A movie we will all be interested in, I'm sure. Too bad it opens during
      War (who the hell plans these things?!) For those not in the know, the
      movie is based on the book "Eaters of the Dead" by Michael Crichton which
      is in turn based on the writings of Ibn Fadlan, a traveller to the lands of
      the Rus' in the 10th century. The "Vikings" the movie refers to are
      actually (as far as we can tell) Rus' peoples. Yippee! A movie about
      medieval Russia (well, sorta)!!!

      I snipped the synopsis below from the Northshield List.
      Date: Mon, 05 Jul 1999 04:09:44 PDT
      From: "TONY C.NELSON" <tokemagnusson@...>
      Subject: [Northshield]: The 13th Warrior - a Viking movie

      The 13th Warrior
      Opens: Aug. 13

      The Players:
      Starring Antonio Banderas, Vladimir Kulich, Diane Venora, Omar Sharif;
      directed by John McTiernan and Michael Crichton

      The Plot: Circa 922 A.D. Ahmad Ibn Fadlan, a mannered Arab courtier (Antonio
      Banderas), is banished for coveting the wife of his sovereign and through a
      series of misadventures finds himself the unwilling companion of a band of
      unwashed, piggish Vikings led by the brutish Buliwyf (Vladimir Kulich). The
      motley assortment of warriors is engaged in a mission against a dreadful foe
      the Eaters of the Dead. Are they human? Bestial? Demons? Though the
      Vikings don't know exactly what dangers they may face, they are certain of
      one thing: Ibn Fadlan is fated to be the talismanic 13th member of their
      company. Can this mild-mannered man of peace rise to the occasion?

      The Buzz: On paper, The 13th Warrior had all the right pieces: A
      high-profile action auteur in director John McTiernan (Die Hard, The Hunt
      for Red October), a script based on a novel by Jurassic Park author Michael
      Crichton, and Antonio Banderas swinging a sword. But then things spun out of
      control with Crichton taking over the directing reins from McTiernan once
      the estimated $60 million budget ballooned to more than $100 million. All
      the fuss and muss has kept the film, which originally stopped filming in
      November 1997, on Disney's backest burner. The trailer is a mixed bag,
      treading a razor thin line between comedy and rip-roaring heroics, and
      sprinkled with the sort of anachronisms Banderas asks a religious type,
      "What the hell are you saying?" that are guaranteed to drive fantasy
      purists up the wall.

      Book Report: Crichton's novel is both a literary evaluation of the Beowulf
      mythology, and an attempt to fathom its roots scientifically. The surface
      details are the same, but don't expect the movie to hew much closer to its
      paperback antecedent than that.
      ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
      Ilyana Barsova (Yana) jdmiller2@...
      http://www.sit.wisc.edu/~jdmiller2
      Slavic Interest Group http://www.uwplatt.edu/~goldschp/slavic.html
    • Robert Parker
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 7 12:56 AM
        The book-tape was fantastic!!! I have been dying to see this on film.
        It should be outstanding. I didn't actually read the book but it was
        like a retelling of Beowulf, if memory serves. It was fabulous.
        Highly recommended for the summer.

        Sergei Stepanovich Bezrukov