С Х

  • Joseph Belcher
    Message 1 of 5 , May 23 3:34 PM
      I have an image from the Nestor Chronicle of a flag that seems to bear the letters С Х.
      Could that have been a period way to denote "with Christ"?

      Do you see it as something other than С Х?

      -Halbrust

    • aldo
      Message 2 of 5 , May 23 10:58 PM
        Most probably it is SVIATOI HRIST.

        Sent: Saturday, May 24, 2014 12:34 AM
        Subject: [sig] С Х

        I have an image from the Nestor Chronicle of a flag that seems to bear the letters С Х.
        Could that have been a period way to denote "with Christ"?

        Do you see it as something other than С Х?

        -Halbrust

        Questa e-mail è priva di virus e malware perché è attiva la protezione avast! Antivirus .

      • Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik
        Message 3 of 5 , May 24 12:26 AM
          wrong guess. Those times, church abbreviations had nothing to do with the Old Russian, originally they were Greek letters for Greek words.
          all in all, СХ isn't a correct abbreviation for Christ/Jesus Christ, it was IС ХС: IиСус ХриСтос, a calc from the Byzanthian abbraviation (irt was Sygma there instead of Cyrillic С). Thus, it's either an attempt to show the middle of the abbreviation, or simply some meaningless dots.
          AND, btw, it's all the same not the Nestor's original text from the XII century, but its illuminated copy dated 1300s. So, the copyist was ab-so-lutely free to change the original miniature.
          Something like that.

            Message 5 of 5 , May 28 11:34 AM
              I'm still trying to figure out the meaning of the markings.
              A different image appears to have two crosses on a similar boat flag. That is why I came to the thinking I had.

              Even if it is a 14th century addition. What is it?

              -Halbrust
              Could it not be SOTER HRISTOS ? Christ the Savior and in uncial Greek C X? Please, check it better.