Oops - this didn't send the first time. Slavic U in An Tir?

  • Mir Plemmons
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 31, 2013
      Dobriy den!

      Last night, Paul Wickendam posted to our Facebook group that we need to try to move Slavic U into more regions, and pinged the West and An Tir.

      A flurry of comments later, we have what *appears* to be a lot of support to host it in An Tir.

      I and Baroness Alexsandra Lavrovna would be event stewards, the Barony of Wyewood is looking forward to hosting it near Sea Tac International Airport, and we have nearly a dozen Slavs and Wyewoodians volunteered already gor the event team.

      This looks like a solid go - if you would all be willing to come teach, learn, cook, eat, wear, do and share with us!

      What say you? Shall my team put together a bid?

      Most respectfully and gladly,
      Mir

      Master Tvorimir Danilov, OP, MC, GPoAT
    • goldschp tds.net
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 31, 2013

        Wow!  Excellent news!

        We don't really do bids (yet), but I'd certainly be interested in what you have planned and I imagine that prior autocrats might well weigh in on suggestions.

        Do you know what dates you are looking at?

        I've been asked off-list a question:  no, this event is not exclusive.  Just because An Tier would host a Slavic U does not mean that the East couldn't do one as well.  All I ask is that we don't do them the same weekend. :)

        Thanks,
        Paul

        On Oct 31, 2013 9:47 PM, "Mir Plemmons" <mir.plemmons@...> wrote:

        Dobriy den!

        Last night, Paul Wickendam posted to our Facebook group that we need to try to move Slavic U into more regions, and pinged the West and An Tir.

        A flurry of comments later, we have what *appears* to be a lot of support to host it in An Tir.

        I and Baroness Alexsandra Lavrovna would be event stewards, the Barony of Wyewood is looking forward to hosting it near Sea Tac International Airport, and we have nearly a dozen Slavs and Wyewoodians volunteered already gor the event team.

        This looks like a solid go - if you would all be willing to come teach, learn, cook, eat, wear, do and share with us!

        What say you? Shall my team put together a bid?

        Most respectfully and gladly,
        Mir

        Master Tvorimir Danilov, OP, MC, GPoAT
      • Kira Baranova
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 31, 2013
          You cast the net out, Paul, and see what you caught?  Funny how these things happen.

          I can't wait to watch, and help, it come together.  Slavic U is something I've heard about and wanted to attend ever since.

          Kira

          On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 7:56 PM, goldschp tds.net <goldschp@...> wrote:

[...]

        • charles stefanich

                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 1, 2013
                  Well, I have family near Portland OR, so I'm all for an An Tir Slavic U!!  Actually, I have in-laws on Vachon Island too....

                  --Sfandra
                  --gee, with all the family & Scadian family out there, I should just move! :-D

                  ******************
                  Boiarynia Sfandra Dmitrieva Chernigova
                  http://sfandra.webs.com
                  Never 'pearl' your butt.
                  ******************

                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 2, 2013
                    A bid would go to our branch for approval - to make sure we have purchased our ducks and have them both in a row and ready to cook, as it were.

                    Is any approval phase one you would like submitted formally to the group? Otherwise we're left not knowing what level beyond rah-rah you want to see out here...

                    Now, another question: how many are NOT on facebook and NEED questions and updates to come here, as well?

                    Last question - we have several offers of help, for which much thanks. We will need more. Please contact us if there's something you'd like to contribute - we might not realize we need it yet!

                    Now, teaser: the area has a huge Slavic population. I am sorely tempted to say "Y'all come in" to various ethnic groups and schools/clubs. What's your comfort zone with that idea? How can we pull it off well?

                    isttd,
                    Mir
                  • goldschp tds.net
                    Message 9 of 13 , Nov 2, 2013
                      Again, there really is no formal process.  In the past, local groups have decided to host Slavic-themed events and just let me know once they were on the calendar.  I then promoted them wherever I could.

                      It's not like a Known World {Fill in blank} Symposium, where the SCA actually promotes it.  SIG is too small and has no tie to the SCA (beyond an overlap of members).

                      The Facebook group is full of casual lurkers, many of whom don't live in North America and don't even know what the SCA is.  Traditionally, the only member of SIG is someone listed on the website, of which there are about 130 folks right now, most of whom are also on SIG-L and some of whom are on Facebook.  That said, SIG-L is probably the official site at this point.  But since membership conveys no privileges, it probably doesn't matter.

                      I say:  Host the event and folks will come.  I'll do what I can to promote the event through SIG, but we're nothing more than a clearinghouse for relaying information.

                      Does that help?

                      Paul

                        Message 11 of 13 , Nov 3, 2013
                          Well, sure! We'll post to both and in that light, anyone else want to chime in?

                          Anyone want to participate in the planning phase? In particular - does anyone want a culinary track (and anyone willing to teach?) or a class that might need sheltered outdoor space?

                          If you want to be on the planning team (you're welcome and please), please drop me an email.

                          If you have thoughts about venue needs, please reply to the list if you're comfortable doing so... and to me if not.

                          Thanks!!!

                          Mir
                        • Chris Ivins
                          Message 12 of 13 , Nov 3, 2013
                            Mir,

                            Though there may be limited need for it, I would be more than willing to help anyone with any planning for traveling by Amtrak, especially regarding connections, stations, and discounts, if that helps.

                            - Iurii

                            On Sun, 11/3/13, Mir Plemmons <mir.plemmons@...> wrote:

                            Anyone want to participate in the planning phase? In
                            particular - does anyone want a culinary track (and anyone
                            willing to teach?) or a class that might need sheltered
                            outdoor space?

                            If you want to be on the planning team (you're
                            welcome and please), please drop me an email.

                            If you have thoughts about venue needs, please reply
                            to the list if you're comfortable doing so... and to me
                            if not.

                            Thanks!!!

                            Mir
                          • panimarijah