Re: [sig] Digest Number 3493

  • Joseph Belcher
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 18, 2013
      I thought so as well…
      But the SCA College of Heralds has ruled “[Household name Dom Kazimira] This submission was documented as the Russian translation of the phrase House of Kazimir. However, no evidence was presented that Dom was a term used to describe a group of people in period Russia. In addition, no evidence was presented as to how household names in Russian might be formed from personal names; it is unclear whether they would use the given name, a patronymic form, a byname, or some other kind of element. Barring such evidence, this household name cannot be registered”
      Also, the earliest references I can find to the House of Romanov say дома Романовых (Doma Romanovich)
      -Halbrust

      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 18, 2013
        We had a conversation about what to use for an SCA household a while go for me, when I was elevated to the Peerage.  My household (the big one) is set up in a way that all Peers have their own "sub-houses".   So within the greater Haus Von Drakenklaue, I am head of "Sfandrinskaia Druzhina".  However, I've not tried to register that (not even my arms: I know, bad peer, no biscuit...)

        I recall there's also a particular structure to designate "descendents of".... I'm trying to remember ... Chernigovichi?  I think I've seen that used to reference the family of the ruling princes of Chernigov....

        You can also submit to the College of Heralds that Doma Kazimirich is based on Doma Romanovich, depending on how early your documentation gets.  If you can tag it to pre-1650 for sure -- submit, w/ documentation, and force it up to Laurel for reconsideration.  The College of Heralds WILL overturn old precedents if you can give them reasonable enough documentation.  But PARTICULARLY for Slavic languages, they need documentation in English.   They're stubborn, but will change their minds if you can give them enough proof.

        --Sfandra Dmitrieva

        ******************
        Boiarynia Sfandra Dmitrieva Chernigova
        http://sfandra.webs.com
        Never 'pearl' your butt.
        ******************

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 18, 2013
          I was thinking about copying your dtuzhina idea to form The Firebird Druzhina, an inter+kingdom group of independent warbands of freebooter Slavic artisans devoted to getting our Slavic arts geek on, and some periodic drinking and laughter. Thoughts? Impressions?
          'dok

          From my Android phone on T-Mobile. The first nationwide 4G network.

          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 18, 2013
            I would almost think, 'Dok, that what you're thinking is a group more like the Veche, rather than a group formed around a single noble leader like a Druzhina....

            But if you're at Pennsic, make sure to ask to see my cloak, which has Zhar-ptitsa embroideries on it... ;-)

            ---Sfandra

            ******************
            Boiarynia Sfandra Dmitrieva Chernigova
            http://sfandra.webs.com
            Never 'pearl' your butt.
            ******************

            ________________________________
            I was thinking about copying your dtuzhina idea to form The Firebird Druzhina, an inter+kingdom group of independent warbands of freebooter Slavic artisans devoted to getting our Slavic arts geek on, and some periodic drinking and laughter. Thoughts? Impressions?
            'dok

            From my Android phone on T-Mobile. The first nationwide 4G network.

            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 19, 2013
              awesome.....I live 100 yards from you at Pennsic!

              From my Android phone on T-Mobile. The first nationwide 4G network.

              I was thinking about copying your dtuzhina idea to form The Firebird Druzhina, an inter+kingdom group of independent warbands of freebooter Slavic artisans devoted to getting our Slavic arts geek on, and some periodic drinking and laughter. Thoughts? Impressions?
              'dok

              From my Android phone on T-Mobile. The first nationwide 4G network.

              But the SCA College of Heralds has ruled “[Household name Dom Kazimira] This submission was documented as the Russian translation of the phrase House of Kazimir. However, no evidence was presented that Dom was a term used to describe a group of people in period Russia. In addition, no evidence was presented as to how household names in Russian might be formed from personal names; it is unclear whether they would use the given name, a patronymic form, a byname, or some other kind of element. Barring such evidence, this household name cannot be registered”
              Also, the earliest references I can find to the House of Romanov say дома Романовых (Doma Romanovich)
              -Halbrust

              The correct form of the word is 'dom', means 'house', 'home'. 'doma' and
              'domu' are the forms of the same word. For example 'v domu' is translated
              as 'in the house', 'doma', depending where your stress mark is could mean
              different things. When it is 'dOma', like 'ya dOma', means 'I am home',
              when it's 'domA' it is a multiple of home, homes.
              Of course it's modern Russian, anyone who knows how my version is different
              from the old Russian, please help.
              So if you are trying to say The House of ...some such thing, it would be
              Dom XXXX.

              Hope this helps and please let me know if I can be of further assistance
              Tatiana Moskovskaia
              On Jun 18, 2013 5:50 AM, <sig@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

              > Slavic Interest Group (SIG) List Group
              > 1 New Message
              > Digest #3493
              > 1a
              > Translation help by "Joseph Belcher" halbrust_of_caid
              >
              > Message
              > 1a
              > Translation help
              > Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:52 pm (PDT) . Posted by:
              > "Joseph Belcher" halbrust_of_caid
              >
              > I'm digging and digging for evidence that doma or domu is the correct
              pre-1600 term for a Russian household or family.

              > I have several passages from a 1617 book using the term дома. Is anyone
              willing to look over some scans and see if any of the uses apply in the way
              I want/need them to?

              > I've attempted using Google translate, but I'm having little to no luck.
              The images are scanned, and so I can not cut and paste text. Trying to type
              in the correct letters is not working very well.

              > -Halbrust

              > Reply to sender . Reply to group . Reply via Web Post . All Messages (21)
              . Top ^
              > Visit Your Group
              > >
              > View All Topics
              > >
              > Create New Topic
              > >
              > 1 New Members
              > >
              > We are making changes based on your feedback, Thank you !
              > Submit Feedback
              > >
              > The Yahoo! Groups Product Blog
              > Check it out!
              > >
              > CHANGE SETTINGS
              > >
              > TERMS OF USE
              > >
              > UNSUBSCRIBE

            • Tatiana Golter
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 19, 2013
                The SCA College of Heralds forgets that in some languages there are such
                things as conjugations. So when the word is taken out of context, it looses
                sense.
                I had similar issue with registering my surname, they told me that the form
                was wrong. So I wrote an appeal. The name passed.
                I understand that languages change with time, however, some words and
                conjugations have not changed. I grew up with this stuff, which should
                account for something, I would think.
                So, if you want to register Dom of some such Thing, I suggest that you do
                it. I could help you with forming the name, as much as I can. I have a
                decent collection of books that might help. At the very least it will be a
                good try. And hopefully, SCA will have one less badly formed Russian name.
                (;

                You can contact me directly, or through the list. I am also on Facebook and
                Sig Facebook group.

                YIS
                Tatiana Moskovskaia

                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 19, 2013
                  That would be great! So......any way I could shamelessly beg for a translation of my apprentice contract? 4 sentences......I believe in brevity!
                  'dok

                  From my Android phone on T-Mobile. The first nationwide 4G network.