Re: [sig] Birch bark scroll 200

  • Jennifer Nelson Kemp
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 6, 2013
      I love those notes. I always describe the birch bark letters as the Rus
      equivalent of the post-it note or postcard. Imagine people from 1000 years
      in the future looking at our handwriting and analyzing what it says. Makes
      me thank my 3rd Grade handwriting teachers.

      Ian'ka

      On Thu, Jun 6, 2013 at 10:12 AM, Lisa Kies <lkies319@...> wrote:

      > Greetings from Sofya,
      >
      > On Thu, Jun 6, 2013 at 11:55 AM, Joseph Belcher <iegrappling@...>
      > wrote:
      >

      > > Birch bark scroll 200 http://www.goldschp.net/SIG/onfim/onfim2.jpg is a
      > > self portrait of the Rus child Onfim accompanied by his name. It also
      > > contains, per Paul Wickenden �the first eleven letters of the alphabet in
      > > the upper right corner�.
      > >
      > > I can not equate the letters with the modern Russian Cyrillic alphabet.
      > > The first letter seems to be the letter Yus, which appears to be no
      > longer
      > > used. Then we have Be, Ve, and Ge, but after that it becomes gibberish to
      > > me. The fifth letter looks like it could be a variant on Yus also, but
      > I�m
      > > not sure.
      > >

      > You need to compare with the _old_ Cyrillic alphabet (and adjust to the
      > awkward way letters get written on birchbark especially by little boys).
      > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_Cyrillic_alphabet
      >
      > The first letter is the "birchbark style" A. B, V, G are next as you note.
      > The next letter is D - a triangle with legs, albeit confusingly triangular
      > legs.
      > The next letter is E, but written so it runs into the next letter, Zhe.
      > Zhe is written with three unconnected strokes which makes it hard to
      > recognize. } | {
      > Then on the second line, the next letter is S, a variation on Z.
      > Z is the next letter - the 7 with attachments.
      > Then there's ee.
      > And I as a little cross.
      > And finally K, disjointed like zhe - | { .
      >

      > > At your service,
      >
      > Sofya

      > ___
      > http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser
      > {o,o}
      > "Mir znachit Pax Romanov"
      > (__(|
      > "Et nunc et semper, etiam atque etiam, et discere et exquire et
      > alia." -^-^-`

    • T Duran
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 6, 2013
        > Birch bark scroll 200 http://www.goldschp.net/SIG/onfim/onfim2.jpg is a
        > self portrait of the Rus child Onfim accompanied by his name. It also
        > contains, per Paul Wickenden �the first eleven letters of the alphabet
        > in the upper right corner�.

        That... is adorable.

        Kazimira

      • aldo
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 7, 2013
          Onfim is a variation of Euthymius and he was a child of 5-6 years of age.
          According to Valentin Yanin he wrote I AM A WILD ANIMAL. So now try and find
          the letters...

          > self portrait of the Rus child Onfim accompanied by his name. It also
          > contains, per Paul Wickenden “the first eleven letters of the alphabet
          > in the upper right corner”.

          That... is adorable.

          Kazimira

        • aldo
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 7, 2013
            I made a mistake. There is another birchletter by Onfim but the one u have
            now it says: I AM ONFIM... Go ahead!
            Aldo

            > self portrait of the Rus child Onfim accompanied by his name. It also
            > contains, per Paul Wickenden “the first eleven letters of the alphabet
            > in the upper right corner”.

            That... is adorable.

            Kazimira