RE: [sig] Latvian/Lithuanian Name resources?

  • Elzbieta Traidenyte
    Message 1 of 3 , May 7, 2013
      My knowledge of resources are rather limited, but these are the Lithuanian resources I used to find/document my name (found from http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/slavic.shtml):
      http://web.archive.org/web/20090727064758/http://www.geocities.com/Athens/1336/gediminidfem.html (found with the wayback machine, the geocities site no longer exists)
      http://www.lituanus.org/1982_3/82_3_01.htm
      And there was also a link to an article about Latvian names:http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/names/other/latvian.html
      In Service,Lady Elzbieta
      Traidenyt�

      To: sig@yahoogroups.com
      From: kristina.jarvis@...
      Date: Tue, 7 May 2013 12:14:48 -0600
      Subject: [sig] Latvian/Lithuanian Name resources?

      Hello everyone!

      I'm currently trying to comment on a name for heraldic submissions, and the

      name is in Latvian/Lithuanian (the client pulled from both cultures).

      Anyone know of any resources to look up the use of names in these cultures?

      Any help would be appreciated.

      Thanks!

      Kseniia

    • Beth Harper
      Message 2 of 3 , May 7, 2013
        I used the same sources (there aren't that many out there in English), and
        also another Lituanus article:

        Girvilas, K. A. “Pre-Christian Name Giving in Lithuania.” Lituanus:
        Lithuanian Quarterly Journal of Arts and Sciences, V. 24, No. 3, Fall 1978.
        Electronic <http://www.lituanus.org/1978/78_3_02.htm>. 12 September, 2010.

        Good luck!

        Liepa Jonaite

        Outlands