Latvian/Lithuanian Name resources?

  • Kristina Jarvis
    Message 1 of 3 , May 7 11:14 AM
      Hello everyone!

      I'm currently trying to comment on a name for heraldic submissions, and the
      name is in Latvian/Lithuanian (the client pulled from both cultures).
      Anyone know of any resources to look up the use of names in these cultures?
      Any help would be appreciated.

      Thanks!
      Kseniia

    • Elzbieta Traidenyte
      Message 2 of 3 , May 7 2:18 PM
        My knowledge of resources are rather limited, but these are the Lithuanian resources I used to find/document my name (found from http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/slavic.shtml):
        http://web.archive.org/web/20090727064758/http://www.geocities.com/Athens/1336/gediminidfem.html (found with the wayback machine, the geocities site no longer exists)
        http://www.lituanus.org/1982_3/82_3_01.htm
        And there was also a link to an article about Latvian names:http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/names/other/latvian.html
        In Service,Lady Elzbieta
        Traidenyt�

        To: sig@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 3 , May 7 2:29 PM
          I used the same sources (there aren't that many out there in English), and
          also another Lituanus article:

          Girvilas, K. A. “Pre-Christian Name Giving in Lithuania.” Lituanus:
          Lithuanian Quarterly Journal of Arts and Sciences, V. 24, No. 3, Fall 1978.
          Electronic <http://www.lituanus.org/1978/78_3_02.htm>. 12 September, 2010.

          Good luck!

          Liepa Jonaite

          Outlands