Re: [sig] Kievan Royal titles

  • charles stefanich
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 18, 2013
      Thanks so much. I will pass on both and let them chose. Is it possible to get a phonetic pronunciation of the Kievan Rus titles. I'd hate to use my heralds best guess when I speak with them.
      Istvan Valkai

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 18, 2013
        Reading this discussion make me think that I would love and I think others would too to see a class on period Russian titles of all levels.
        just throwing it out there. :)

        Lada

        Oooooh...
        SHINY!

        scribal arts:
        http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150165898386642.292073.728251641&l=c4602b7ffc&type=1

        ________________________________
        Thanks so much. I will pass on both and let them chose. Is it possible to get a phonetic pronunciation of the Kievan Rus titles. I'd hate to use my heralds best guess when I speak with them.
        Istvan Valkai

        ________________________________
        During the Kievan period, the terms Tsar, Tsaritsa, Tsarevna, etc. were
        used to refer to the Byzantine emperor and his family, and for various
        rulers in the Bible.

        From the Russian primary chronicle:

        988 [6496] "The Princess [tsaritsa] declared to him..." [The "Princess"
        here is the sister of the Byzantine emperors.] царица... цари

        During the Mongol period, the terms were used for the Mongol khan and his
        family.

        The first Russian ruler to use the title "tsar" (albeit inconsistently) was
        Ivan III. His grandson, Ivan IV was the first to be _crowned_ tsar.

        http://sofyalarus.info/Russia/titlesroyal.html

        But the "tsar" titles are a lot easier to say than Velikii Knyaz and
        Velikaya Knyaginya and were used in the Kievan period in Rus.

        At your service,

        Sofya

        On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 1:46 PM, Joseph Belcher <mailto:iegrappling%40aol.com> wrote:

        > Doing research now, I just found referrence (unverified) of Tsaritsa being
        > used in the 10th century :o)
        >
        > -Halbrust

        ___
        http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser
        {o,o}
        "Mir znachit Pax Romanov"
        (__(|
        "Et nunc et semper, etiam atque etiam, et discere et exquire et
        alia." -^-^-`

      • Lisa Kies
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 18, 2013
          Come to Heralds Point at Lilies and I'll give you my class. :-)

          Pronunciations can be found here:
          http://russiansig.wikispaces.com/SCA+Alternative+Titles

          Sofya

          On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 2:27 PM, Yevgeniya Pechenaya
          <ladie_lada@...>wrote:

          > Reading this discussion make me think that I would love and I think others
          > would too to see a class on period Russian titles of all levels.
          > just throwing it out there. :)

        • Dezz Windecker-Klassen
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 19, 2013
            Hi,

            I live up in the Principality of Avacal and was wondering if there is any class material that you would be willing to share?

            Sincerely,

            HE Dezzrianne Draganova doch'

            ________________________________

            <mailto:ladie_lada%40yahoo.com>wrote:

            > Reading this discussion make me think that I would love and I think others
            > would too to see a class on period Russian titles of all levels.
            > just throwing it out there. :)

          • Lisa Kies
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 20, 2013
              Greetings from Sofya,

              On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 9:25 AM, Dezz Windecker-Klassen <
              dezzrianne@...> wrote:

              > Hi,
              >
              > I live up in the Principality of Avacal and was wondering if there is any
              > class material that you would be willing to share?
              >
              > Sincerely,
              >
              > HE Dezzrianne Draganova doch'

              The class material is in the form of a Power Point presentation which is a
              somewhat awkward thing to put on-line. But, the class was based on my
              research notes which you can find here:

              http://www.sofyalarus.info/Russia/titles.html

              At your service,

              Sofya