Re: [sig] Kievan Royal titles

  • Joseph Belcher
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 18, 2013
      Doing research now, I just found referrence (unverified) of Tsaritsa being used in the 10th century :o)

      -Halbrust

      From: Joseph Belcher <iegrappling@... <javascript:_e({}, 'cvml',
      'iegrappling%40aol.com');>>
      From: charles stefanich <mos6238@... <javascript:_e({}, 'cvml',
      'mos6238%40yahoo.com');>>
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 18, 2013
        During the Kievan period, the terms Tsar, Tsaritsa, Tsarevna, etc. were
        used to refer to the Byzantine emperor and his family, and for various
        rulers in the Bible.

        From the Russian primary chronicle:

        988 [6496] "The Princess [tsaritsa] declared to him..." [The "Princess"
        here is the sister of the Byzantine emperors.] царица... цари

        During the Mongol period, the terms were used for the Mongol khan and his
        family.

        The first Russian ruler to use the title "tsar" (albeit inconsistently) was
        Ivan III. His grandson, Ivan IV was the first to be _crowned_ tsar.

        http://sofyalarus.info/Russia/titlesroyal.html

        But the "tsar" titles are a lot easier to say than Velikii Knyaz and
        Velikaya Knyaginya and were used in the Kievan period in Rus.

        At your service,

        Sofya

        On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 1:46 PM, Joseph Belcher <iegrappling@...> wrote:

        > Doing research now, I just found referrence (unverified) of Tsaritsa being
        > used in the 10th century :o)
        >
        > -Halbrust

        Lisa M. Kies, MD
        Eagle Family Health
        Nora Springs, IA 50458
        www.eaglefamilyhealth.com

        ___
        http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser
        {o,o}
        "Mir znachit Pax Romanov"
        (__(|
        "Et nunc et semper, etiam atque etiam, et discere et exquire et
        alia." -^-^-`
      • Joseph Belcher
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 18, 2013
          Which is why I suggested Grand Prince, and now Grand Princess.
          The easy to pronounce anglanizations of Velikii Knyaz and Velikaya Knyaginya.

          If I were to ever win Crown (never happening!) I would use Grand Prince, because it just sounds cool.

          -Halbrust

          During the Kievan period, the terms Tsar, Tsaritsa, Tsarevna, etc. were
          used to refer to the Byzantine emperor and his family, and for various
          rulers in the Bible.

          From the Russian primary chronicle:

          988 [6496] "The Princess [tsaritsa] declared to him..." [The "Princess"
          here is the sister of the Byzantine emperors.] царица... цари

          During the Mongol period, the terms were used for the Mongol khan and his
          family.

          The first Russian ruler to use the title "tsar" (albeit inconsistently) was
          Ivan III. His grandson, Ivan IV was the first to be _crowned_ tsar.

          http://sofyalarus.info/Russia/titlesroyal.html

          But the "tsar" titles are a lot easier to say than Velikii Knyaz and
          Velikaya Knyaginya and were used in the Kievan period in Rus.

          At your service,

          Sofya

          On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 1:46 PM, Joseph Belcher <iegrappling@...> wrote:

          > Doing research now, I just found referrence (unverified) of Tsaritsa being
          > used in the 10th century :o)
          >
          > -Halbrust

        • charles stefanich
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 18, 2013
            Thanks so much. I will pass on both and let them chose. Is it possible to get a phonetic pronunciation of the Kievan Rus titles. I'd hate to use my heralds best guess when I speak with them.
            Istvan Valkai

            ________________________________
            During the Kievan period, the terms Tsar, Tsaritsa, Tsarevna, etc. were
            used to refer to the Byzantine emperor and his family, and for various
            rulers in the Bible.

            From the Russian primary chronicle:

            On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 1:46 PM, Joseph Belcher <mailto:iegrappling%40aol.com> wrote:

            > Doing research now, I just found referrence (unverified) of Tsaritsa being
            > used in the 10th century :o)
            >
            > -Halbrust

            http://www.eaglefamilyhealth.com/

            ___
            http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser
            {o,o}
            "Mir znachit Pax Romanov"
            (__(|
            "Et nunc et semper, etiam atque etiam, et discere et exquire et
            alia." -^-^-`
          • Yevgeniya Pechenaya
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 18, 2013
              Reading this discussion make me think that I would love and I think others would too to see a class on period Russian titles of all levels.
              just throwing it out there. :)

              Lada

              Oooooh...
              SHINY!

              scribal arts:
              http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150165898386642.292073.728251641&l=c4602b7ffc&type=1

              ________________________________
              Thanks so much. I will pass on both and let them chose. Is it possible to get a phonetic pronunciation of the Kievan Rus titles. I'd hate to use my heralds best guess when I speak with them.
              Istvan Valkai

              ________________________________
              During the Kievan period, the terms Tsar, Tsaritsa, Tsarevna, etc. were
              used to refer to the Byzantine emperor and his family, and for various
              rulers in the Bible.

              From the Russian primary chronicle:

              988 [6496] "The Princess [tsaritsa] declared to him..." [The "Princess"
              here is the sister of the Byzantine emperors.] царица... цари

              During the Mongol period, the terms were used for the Mongol khan and his
              family.

              The first Russian ruler to use the title "tsar" (albeit inconsistently) was
              Ivan III. His grandson, Ivan IV was the first to be _crowned_ tsar.

              http://sofyalarus.info/Russia/titlesroyal.html

              But the "tsar" titles are a lot easier to say than Velikii Knyaz and
              Velikaya Knyaginya and were used in the Kievan period in Rus.

              At your service,

              Sofya

              On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 1:46 PM, Joseph Belcher <mailto:iegrappling%40aol.com> wrote:

              > Doing research now, I just found referrence (unverified) of Tsaritsa being
              > used in the 10th century :o)
              >
              > -Halbrust

            • Lisa Kies
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 18, 2013
                Come to Heralds Point at Lilies and I'll give you my class. :-)

                Pronunciations can be found here:
                http://russiansig.wikispaces.com/SCA+Alternative+Titles

                Sofya

                On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 2:27 PM, Yevgeniya Pechenaya
                <ladie_lada@...>wrote:

                > Reading this discussion make me think that I would love and I think others
                > would too to see a class on period Russian titles of all levels.
                > just throwing it out there. :)

              • Dezz Windecker-Klassen
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 19, 2013
                  Hi,

                  I live up in the Principality of Avacal and was wondering if there is any class material that you would be willing to share?

                  Sincerely,

                  HE Dezzrianne Draganova doch'

                  ________________________________

                  <mailto:ladie_lada%40yahoo.com>wrote:

                  > Reading this discussion make me think that I would love and I think others
                  > would too to see a class on period Russian titles of all levels.
                  > just throwing it out there. :)

                • Lisa Kies
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 20, 2013
                    Greetings from Sofya,

                    On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 9:25 AM, Dezz Windecker-Klassen <
                    dezzrianne@...> wrote:

                    > Hi,
                    >
                    > I live up in the Principality of Avacal and was wondering if there is any
                    > class material that you would be willing to share?
                    >
                    > Sincerely,
                    >
                    > HE Dezzrianne Draganova doch'

                    The class material is in the form of a Power Point presentation which is a
                    somewhat awkward thing to put on-line. But, the class was based on my
                    research notes which you can find here:

                    http://www.sofyalarus.info/Russia/titles.html

                    At your service,

                    Sofya