Re: [sig] Kievan Royal titles

  • Jennifer Nelson Kemp
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 18, 2013
      We are also stepping up on May 4th but to save our populace from saying
      a mouthful we are doing with Tsar and Tsaritsa which is well out of period
      for us.

      Ian'ka, Tsarenva Atenveldt

      On Thursday, April 18, 2013, Yevgeniya Pechenaya wrote:

      > **
      >

      > the female equivalent would be Velikaya Knyaginya
      >

      > Lada
      >
      > Oooooh...
      > SHINY!
      >
      > scribal arts:
      >
      > http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150165898386642.292073.728251641&l=c4602b7ffc&type=1
      >
      > ________________________________
      > From: Joseph Belcher <iegrappling@... <javascript:_e({}, 'cvml',
      > 'iegrappling%40aol.com');>>

    • Joseph Belcher
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 18, 2013
        Doing research now, I just found referrence (unverified) of Tsaritsa being used in the 10th century :o)

        -Halbrust

        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 18, 2013
          During the Kievan period, the terms Tsar, Tsaritsa, Tsarevna, etc. were
          used to refer to the Byzantine emperor and his family, and for various
          rulers in the Bible.

          From the Russian primary chronicle:

          988 [6496] "The Princess [tsaritsa] declared to him..." [The "Princess"
          here is the sister of the Byzantine emperors.] царица... цари

          During the Mongol period, the terms were used for the Mongol khan and his
          family.

          The first Russian ruler to use the title "tsar" (albeit inconsistently) was
          Ivan III. His grandson, Ivan IV was the first to be _crowned_ tsar.

          http://sofyalarus.info/Russia/titlesroyal.html

          But the "tsar" titles are a lot easier to say than Velikii Knyaz and
          Velikaya Knyaginya and were used in the Kievan period in Rus.

          At your service,

          Sofya

          On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 1:46 PM, Joseph Belcher <iegrappling@...> wrote:

          > Doing research now, I just found referrence (unverified) of Tsaritsa being
          > used in the 10th century :o)
          >
          > -Halbrust

          Lisa M. Kies, MD
          Eagle Family Health
          Nora Springs, IA 50458
          www.eaglefamilyhealth.com

          ___
          http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser
          {o,o}
          "Mir znachit Pax Romanov"
          (__(|
          "Et nunc et semper, etiam atque etiam, et discere et exquire et
          alia." -^-^-`
        • Joseph Belcher
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 18, 2013
            Which is why I suggested Grand Prince, and now Grand Princess.
            The easy to pronounce anglanizations of Velikii Knyaz and Velikaya Knyaginya.

            If I were to ever win Crown (never happening!) I would use Grand Prince, because it just sounds cool.

            -Halbrust

            During the Kievan period, the terms Tsar, Tsaritsa, Tsarevna, etc. were
            used to refer to the Byzantine emperor and his family, and for various
            rulers in the Bible.

            From the Russian primary chronicle:

            988 [6496] "The Princess [tsaritsa] declared to him..." [The "Princess"
            here is the sister of the Byzantine emperors.] царица... цари

            During the Mongol period, the terms were used for the Mongol khan and his
            family.

            The first Russian ruler to use the title "tsar" (albeit inconsistently) was
            Ivan III. His grandson, Ivan IV was the first to be _crowned_ tsar.

            http://sofyalarus.info/Russia/titlesroyal.html

            But the "tsar" titles are a lot easier to say than Velikii Knyaz and
            Velikaya Knyaginya and were used in the Kievan period in Rus.

            At your service,

            Sofya

            On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 1:46 PM, Joseph Belcher <iegrappling@...> wrote:

            > Doing research now, I just found referrence (unverified) of Tsaritsa being
            > used in the 10th century :o)
            >
            > -Halbrust

          • charles stefanich
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 18, 2013
              Thanks so much. I will pass on both and let them chose. Is it possible to get a phonetic pronunciation of the Kievan Rus titles. I'd hate to use my heralds best guess when I speak with them.
              Istvan Valkai

              ________________________________
              During the Kievan period, the terms Tsar, Tsaritsa, Tsarevna, etc. were
              used to refer to the Byzantine emperor and his family, and for various
              rulers in the Bible.

              From the Russian primary chronicle:

              On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 1:46 PM, Joseph Belcher <mailto:iegrappling%40aol.com> wrote:

              > Doing research now, I just found referrence (unverified) of Tsaritsa being
              > used in the 10th century :o)
              >
              > -Halbrust

              http://www.eaglefamilyhealth.com/

              ___
              http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser
              {o,o}
              "Mir znachit Pax Romanov"
              (__(|
              "Et nunc et semper, etiam atque etiam, et discere et exquire et
              alia." -^-^-`
            • Yevgeniya Pechenaya
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 18, 2013
                Reading this discussion make me think that I would love and I think others would too to see a class on period Russian titles of all levels.
                just throwing it out there. :)

                Lada

                Oooooh...
                SHINY!

                scribal arts:
                http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150165898386642.292073.728251641&l=c4602b7ffc&type=1

                ________________________________
                Thanks so much. I will pass on both and let them chose. Is it possible to get a phonetic pronunciation of the Kievan Rus titles. I'd hate to use my heralds best guess when I speak with them.
                Istvan Valkai

                ________________________________
                During the Kievan period, the terms Tsar, Tsaritsa, Tsarevna, etc. were
                used to refer to the Byzantine emperor and his family, and for various
                rulers in the Bible.

                From the Russian primary chronicle:

                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 18, 2013
                  Come to Heralds Point at Lilies and I'll give you my class. :-)

                  Pronunciations can be found here:
                  http://russiansig.wikispaces.com/SCA+Alternative+Titles

                  Sofya

                  On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 2:27 PM, Yevgeniya Pechenaya
                  <ladie_lada@...>wrote:

                  > Reading this discussion make me think that I would love and I think others
                  > would too to see a class on period Russian titles of all levels.
                  > just throwing it out there. :)

                • Dezz Windecker-Klassen
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 19, 2013
                    Hi,

                    I live up in the Principality of Avacal and was wondering if there is any class material that you would be willing to share?

                    Sincerely,

                    HE Dezzrianne Draganova doch'

                    ________________________________

                    <mailto:ladie_lada%40yahoo.com>wrote:

                    > Reading this discussion make me think that I would love and I think others
                    > would too to see a class on period Russian titles of all levels.
                    > just throwing it out there. :)

                  • Lisa Kies
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 20, 2013
                      Greetings from Sofya,

                      On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 9:25 AM, Dezz Windecker-Klassen <
                      dezzrianne@...> wrote:

                      > Hi,
                      >
                      > I live up in the Principality of Avacal and was wondering if there is any
                      > class material that you would be willing to share?
                      >
                      > Sincerely,
                      >
                      > HE Dezzrianne Draganova doch'

                      The class material is in the form of a Power Point presentation which is a
                      somewhat awkward thing to put on-line. But, the class was based on my
                      research notes which you can find here:

                      http://www.sofyalarus.info/Russia/titles.html

                      At your service,

                      Sofya