Re: [sig] Kievan Royal titles

  • Yevgeniya Pechenaya
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 18, 2013
      the female equivalent would be Velikaya Knyaginya

      Lada

      Oooooh...
      SHINY!

      scribal arts:
      http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150165898386642.292073.728251641&l=c4602b7ffc&type=1

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 18, 2013
        We are also stepping up on May 4th but to save our populace from saying
        a mouthful we are doing with Tsar and Tsaritsa which is well out of period
        for us.

        Ian'ka, Tsarenva Atenveldt

        On Thursday, April 18, 2013, Yevgeniya Pechenaya wrote:

        > **
        >

        > the female equivalent would be Velikaya Knyaginya
        >

        > Lada
        >
        > Oooooh...
        > SHINY!
        >
        > scribal arts:
        >
        > http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150165898386642.292073.728251641&l=c4602b7ffc&type=1
        >
        > ________________________________
        > From: Joseph Belcher <iegrappling@... <javascript:_e({}, 'cvml',
        > 'iegrappling%40aol.com');>>

      • Joseph Belcher
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 18, 2013
          Doing research now, I just found referrence (unverified) of Tsaritsa being used in the 10th century :o)

          -Halbrust

          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 18, 2013
            During the Kievan period, the terms Tsar, Tsaritsa, Tsarevna, etc. were
            used to refer to the Byzantine emperor and his family, and for various
            rulers in the Bible.

            From the Russian primary chronicle:

            988 [6496] "The Princess [tsaritsa] declared to him..." [The "Princess"
            here is the sister of the Byzantine emperors.] царица... цари

            During the Mongol period, the terms were used for the Mongol khan and his
            family.

            The first Russian ruler to use the title "tsar" (albeit inconsistently) was
            Ivan III. His grandson, Ivan IV was the first to be _crowned_ tsar.

            http://sofyalarus.info/Russia/titlesroyal.html

            But the "tsar" titles are a lot easier to say than Velikii Knyaz and
            Velikaya Knyaginya and were used in the Kievan period in Rus.

            At your service,

            Sofya

            On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 1:46 PM, Joseph Belcher <iegrappling@...> wrote:

            > Doing research now, I just found referrence (unverified) of Tsaritsa being
            > used in the 10th century :o)
            >
            > -Halbrust

            Lisa M. Kies, MD
            Eagle Family Health
            Nora Springs, IA 50458
            www.eaglefamilyhealth.com

            ___
            http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser
            {o,o}
            "Mir znachit Pax Romanov"
            (__(|
            "Et nunc et semper, etiam atque etiam, et discere et exquire et
            alia." -^-^-`
          • Joseph Belcher
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 18, 2013
              Which is why I suggested Grand Prince, and now Grand Princess.
              The easy to pronounce anglanizations of Velikii Knyaz and Velikaya Knyaginya.

              If I were to ever win Crown (never happening!) I would use Grand Prince, because it just sounds cool.

              -Halbrust

              During the Kievan period, the terms Tsar, Tsaritsa, Tsarevna, etc. were
              used to refer to the Byzantine emperor and his family, and for various
              rulers in the Bible.

              From the Russian primary chronicle:

              988 [6496] "The Princess [tsaritsa] declared to him..." [The "Princess"
              here is the sister of the Byzantine emperors.] царица... цари

              During the Mongol period, the terms were used for the Mongol khan and his
              family.

              The first Russian ruler to use the title "tsar" (albeit inconsistently) was
              Ivan III. His grandson, Ivan IV was the first to be _crowned_ tsar.

              http://sofyalarus.info/Russia/titlesroyal.html

              But the "tsar" titles are a lot easier to say than Velikii Knyaz and
              Velikaya Knyaginya and were used in the Kievan period in Rus.

              At your service,

              Sofya

              On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 1:46 PM, Joseph Belcher <iegrappling@...> wrote:

              > Doing research now, I just found referrence (unverified) of Tsaritsa being
              > used in the 10th century :o)
              >
              > -Halbrust

            • charles stefanich
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 18, 2013
                Thanks so much. I will pass on both and let them chose. Is it possible to get a phonetic pronunciation of the Kievan Rus titles. I'd hate to use my heralds best guess when I speak with them.
                Istvan Valkai

                ________________________________
                During the Kievan period, the terms Tsar, Tsaritsa, Tsarevna, etc. were
                used to refer to the Byzantine emperor and his family, and for various
                rulers in the Bible.

                From the Russian primary chronicle:

                On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 1:46 PM, Joseph Belcher <mailto:iegrappling%40aol.com> wrote:

                > Doing research now, I just found referrence (unverified) of Tsaritsa being
                > used in the 10th century :o)
                >
                > -Halbrust

                http://www.eaglefamilyhealth.com/

                ___
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 18, 2013
                  Reading this discussion make me think that I would love and I think others would too to see a class on period Russian titles of all levels.
                  just throwing it out there. :)

                  Lada

                  Oooooh...
                  SHINY!

                  scribal arts:
                  http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150165898386642.292073.728251641&l=c4602b7ffc&type=1

                  ________________________________
                  Thanks so much. I will pass on both and let them chose. Is it possible to get a phonetic pronunciation of the Kievan Rus titles. I'd hate to use my heralds best guess when I speak with them.
                  Istvan Valkai

                  ________________________________
                  During the Kievan period, the terms Tsar, Tsaritsa, Tsarevna, etc. were
                  used to refer to the Byzantine emperor and his family, and for various
                  rulers in the Bible.

                  From the Russian primary chronicle:

                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 18, 2013
                    Come to Heralds Point at Lilies and I'll give you my class. :-)

                    Pronunciations can be found here:
                    http://russiansig.wikispaces.com/SCA+Alternative+Titles

                    Sofya

                    On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 2:27 PM, Yevgeniya Pechenaya
                    <ladie_lada@...>wrote:

                    > Reading this discussion make me think that I would love and I think others
                    > would too to see a class on period Russian titles of all levels.
                    > just throwing it out there. :)

                  • Dezz Windecker-Klassen
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 19, 2013
                      Hi,

                      I live up in the Principality of Avacal and was wondering if there is any class material that you would be willing to share?

                      Sincerely,

                      HE Dezzrianne Draganova doch'

                      ________________________________

                      <mailto:ladie_lada%40yahoo.com>wrote:

                      > Reading this discussion make me think that I would love and I think others
                      > would too to see a class on period Russian titles of all levels.
                      > just throwing it out there. :)

                    • Lisa Kies
                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 20, 2013
                        Greetings from Sofya,

                        On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 9:25 AM, Dezz Windecker-Klassen <
                        dezzrianne@...> wrote:

                        > Hi,
                        >
                        > I live up in the Principality of Avacal and was wondering if there is any
                        > class material that you would be willing to share?
                        >
                        > Sincerely,
                        >
                        > HE Dezzrianne Draganova doch'

                        The class material is in the form of a Power Point presentation which is a
                        somewhat awkward thing to put on-line. But, the class was based on my
                        research notes which you can find here:

                        http://www.sofyalarus.info/Russia/titles.html

                        At your service,

                        Sofya