Re: [sig] Kievan Royal titles

  • Joseph Belcher
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 18, 2013
      I believe Grand Prince would be the most appropriate title for His reign.
      I unfortunately do no know the corresponding title (if there was one) for Her.

      -Halbrust

      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 18, 2013
        the female equivalent would be Velikaya Knyaginya

        Lada

        Oooooh...
        SHINY!

        scribal arts:
        http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150165898386642.292073.728251641&l=c4602b7ffc&type=1

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 18, 2013
          We are also stepping up on May 4th but to save our populace from saying
          a mouthful we are doing with Tsar and Tsaritsa which is well out of period
          for us.

          Ian'ka, Tsarenva Atenveldt

          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 18, 2013
            Doing research now, I just found referrence (unverified) of Tsaritsa being used in the 10th century :o)

            -Halbrust

            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 18, 2013
              During the Kievan period, the terms Tsar, Tsaritsa, Tsarevna, etc. were
              used to refer to the Byzantine emperor and his family, and for various
              rulers in the Bible.

              From the Russian primary chronicle:

              988 [6496] "The Princess [tsaritsa] declared to him..." [The "Princess"
              here is the sister of the Byzantine emperors.] царица... цари

              During the Mongol period, the terms were used for the Mongol khan and his
              family.

              The first Russian ruler to use the title "tsar" (albeit inconsistently) was
              Ivan III. His grandson, Ivan IV was the first to be _crowned_ tsar.

              http://sofyalarus.info/Russia/titlesroyal.html

              But the "tsar" titles are a lot easier to say than Velikii Knyaz and
              Velikaya Knyaginya and were used in the Kievan period in Rus.

              At your service,

              Sofya

              On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 1:46 PM, Joseph Belcher <iegrappling@...> wrote:

              > Doing research now, I just found referrence (unverified) of Tsaritsa being
              > used in the 10th century :o)
              >
              > -Halbrust

              Lisa M. Kies, MD
              Eagle Family Health
              Nora Springs, IA 50458
              www.eaglefamilyhealth.com

              ___
              http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser
              {o,o}
              "Mir znachit Pax Romanov"
              (__(|
              "Et nunc et semper, etiam atque etiam, et discere et exquire et
              alia." -^-^-`
            • Joseph Belcher
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 18, 2013
                Which is why I suggested Grand Prince, and now Grand Princess.
                The easy to pronounce anglanizations of Velikii Knyaz and Velikaya Knyaginya.

                If I were to ever win Crown (never happening!) I would use Grand Prince, because it just sounds cool.

                -Halbrust

                During the Kievan period, the terms Tsar, Tsaritsa, Tsarevna, etc. were
                used to refer to the Byzantine emperor and his family, and for various
                rulers in the Bible.

                From the Russian primary chronicle:

                988 [6496] "The Princess [tsaritsa] declared to him..." [The "Princess"
                here is the sister of the Byzantine emperors.] царица... цари

                During the Mongol period, the terms were used for the Mongol khan and his
                family.

                The first Russian ruler to use the title "tsar" (albeit inconsistently) was
                Ivan III. His grandson, Ivan IV was the first to be _crowned_ tsar.

                http://sofyalarus.info/Russia/titlesroyal.html

                But the "tsar" titles are a lot easier to say than Velikii Knyaz and
                Velikaya Knyaginya and were used in the Kievan period in Rus.

                At your service,

                Sofya

                On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 1:46 PM, Joseph Belcher <iegrappling@...> wrote:

                > Doing research now, I just found referrence (unverified) of Tsaritsa being
                > used in the 10th century :o)
                >
                > -Halbrust

              • charles stefanich
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 18, 2013
                  Thanks so much. I will pass on both and let them chose. Is it possible to get a phonetic pronunciation of the Kievan Rus titles. I'd hate to use my heralds best guess when I speak with them.
                  Istvan Valkai

                  ________________________________
                  During the Kievan period, the terms Tsar, Tsaritsa, Tsarevna, etc. were
                  used to refer to the Byzantine emperor and his family, and for various
                  rulers in the Bible.

                  From the Russian primary chronicle:

                  On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 1:46 PM, Joseph Belcher <mailto:iegrappling%40aol.com> wrote:

                  > Doing research now, I just found referrence (unverified) of Tsaritsa being
                  > used in the 10th century :o)
                  >
                  > -Halbrust

                  http://www.eaglefamilyhealth.com/

                  ___
                  http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser
                  {o,o}
                  "Mir znachit Pax Romanov"
                  (__(|
                  "Et nunc et semper, etiam atque etiam, et discere et exquire et
                  alia." -^-^-`
                • Yevgeniya Pechenaya
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 18, 2013
                    Reading this discussion make me think that I would love and I think others would too to see a class on period Russian titles of all levels.
                    just throwing it out there. :)

                    Lada

                    Oooooh...
                    SHINY!

                    scribal arts:
                    http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150165898386642.292073.728251641&l=c4602b7ffc&type=1

                    ________________________________
                    Thanks so much. I will pass on both and let them chose. Is it possible to get a phonetic pronunciation of the Kievan Rus titles. I'd hate to use my heralds best guess when I speak with them.
                    Istvan Valkai

                    ________________________________
                    During the Kievan period, the terms Tsar, Tsaritsa, Tsarevna, etc. were
                    used to refer to the Byzantine emperor and his family, and for various
                    rulers in the Bible.

                    From the Russian primary chronicle:

                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 18, 2013
                      Come to Heralds Point at Lilies and I'll give you my class. :-)

                      Pronunciations can be found here:
                      http://russiansig.wikispaces.com/SCA+Alternative+Titles

                      Sofya

                      On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 2:27 PM, Yevgeniya Pechenaya
                      <ladie_lada@...>wrote:

                      > Reading this discussion make me think that I would love and I think others
                      > would too to see a class on period Russian titles of all levels.
                      > just throwing it out there. :)

                    • Dezz Windecker-Klassen
                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 19, 2013
                        Hi,

                        I live up in the Principality of Avacal and was wondering if there is any class material that you would be willing to share?

                        Sincerely,

                        HE Dezzrianne Draganova doch'

                        ________________________________

                        <mailto:ladie_lada%40yahoo.com>wrote:

                        > Reading this discussion make me think that I would love and I think others
                        > would too to see a class on period Russian titles of all levels.
                        > just throwing it out there. :)

                      • Lisa Kies
                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 20, 2013
                          Greetings from Sofya,

                          On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 9:25 AM, Dezz Windecker-Klassen <
                          dezzrianne@...> wrote:

                          > Hi,
                          >
                          > I live up in the Principality of Avacal and was wondering if there is any
                          > class material that you would be willing to share?
                          >
                          > Sincerely,
                          >
                          > HE Dezzrianne Draganova doch'

                          The class material is in the form of a Power Point presentation which is a
                          somewhat awkward thing to put on-line. But, the class was based on my
                          research notes which you can find here:

                          http://www.sofyalarus.info/Russia/titles.html

                          At your service,

                          Sofya