Re: [sig] Alcohol in Russia in the 10th and 11th century

  • Joseph Belcher
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 29, 2013
      OF COURSE!

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Tim Nalley <mordakus@...>
      To: sig <sig@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Fri, Mar 29, 2013 12:18 pm
      Subject: Re: [sig] Alcohol in Russia in the 10th and 11th century

      Awesome! When you work it out and publish, can I try it out?
      'dok

      From my Android phone on T-Mobile. The first nationwide 4G network.

      From: Joseph Belcher <iegrappling@...>
      To: sig@yahoogroups.com
      CC:

      Thank you to EVERYONE who replied!!! I will take your info and your sources into consideration as I continue my research.

      The two main sources I have used so far are:
      · Christian, David. 'Living Water' : Vodka and Russian Society on the Eve of Emancipation: Vodka and Russian Society on the Eve of Emancipation. Oxford University Press, 1990
      · Smith, Robert EF and Christian, David. Bread and Salt: A Social and Economic History of Food and Drink in Rusia. Cambridge University Press, 1984

      -Halbrust

      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 29, 2013
        You have me intrigued...
        Are you using herbs that grow naturally in Eastern Europe?

        -Halbrust

        Btw, I'm doing small batch research next month using herbs as bittering, flavoring and aroma agents, no hops. Want my research and samples?
        'dok

        From my Android phone on T-Mobile. The first nationwide 4G network.

        This research is for a particular drink served by Grand Prince Vladiir to Dobrynya.

        -Halbrust

        Are you also a brewer? Sometime this coming month and into this summer I was going to integrate some experimental one gallon test batches of unhopped beer into my normal brewing schedule! Maybe we could collaborate, like a brewing double blind? I was planning ales for ease but lack a bread shed for natural yeasting. I would love to aid you in your research, which is very cool, and pursue my own passion for brewing.
        'dok

        From my Android phone on T-Mobile. The first nationwide 4G network.

        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 29, 2013
          Actually, thats what I wanted to chat about. My wife is an apothecaress in the society with a very respectable library of period english, german and arabic sources,  but thats the furthest east. I myself have a library of brewing book rapidly gaining respectability, including a great starter book on brewing herbs whose main value is steering me clear of tragedy, until my learning curve reaches equilibrium with my drive.
                Russian and E.E. herbs were to be my next google search and book purchase this weekend! Imagine my surprise!
          'dok

          From my Android phone on T-Mobile. The first nationwide 4G network.

          Are you using herbs that grow naturally in Eastern Europe?

          -Halbrust

          Btw, I'm doing small batch research next month using herbs as bittering, flavoring and aroma agents, no hops. Want my research and samples?
          'dok

          From my Android phone on T-Mobile. The first nationwide 4G network.

          This research is for a particular drink served by Grand Prince Vladiir to Dobrynya.

          -Halbrust

          Are you also a brewer? Sometime this coming month and into this summer I was going to integrate some experimental one gallon test batches of unhopped beer into my normal brewing schedule! Maybe we could collaborate, like a brewing double blind? I was planning ales for ease but lack a bread shed for natural yeasting. I would love to aid you in your research, which is very cool, and pursue my own passion for brewing.
          'dok

          From my Android phone on T-Mobile. The first nationwide 4G network.