Re: [sig] Alcohol in Russia in the 10th and 11th century

  • Joseph Belcher
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 29, 2013
      Thank you to EVERYONE who replied!!! I will take your info and your sources into consideration as I continue my research.

      The two main sources I have used so far are:
      · Christian, David. 'Living Water' : Vodka and Russian Society on the Eve of Emancipation: Vodka and Russian Society on the Eve of Emancipation. Oxford University Press, 1990
      · Smith, Robert EF and Christian, David. Bread and Salt: A Social and Economic History of Food and Drink in Rusia. Cambridge University Press, 1984

      -Halbrust

      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 29, 2013
        Halbrust-
          Are you also a brewer? Sometime this coming month and into this summer I was going to integrate some experimental one gallon  test batches of unhopped beer into my normal brewing schedule! Maybe we could collaborate, like a brewing double blind? I was planning ales for ease but lack a bread shed for natural yeasting. I would love to aid you in your research, which is very cool, and pursue my own passion for brewing.
        'dok

        From my Android phone on T-Mobile. The first nationwide 4G network.

        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 29, 2013
          I am a brewer.
          This research is for a particular drink served by Grand Prince Vladiir to Dobrynya.

          -Halbrust

          Are you also a brewer? Sometime this coming month and into this summer I was going to integrate some experimental one gallon test batches of unhopped beer into my normal brewing schedule! Maybe we could collaborate, like a brewing double blind? I was planning ales for ease but lack a bread shed for natural yeasting. I would love to aid you in your research, which is very cool, and pursue my own passion for brewing.
          'dok

          From my Android phone on T-Mobile. The first nationwide 4G network.

          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 29, 2013
            Awesome! When you work it out and publish, can I try it out?
            'dok

            From my Android phone on T-Mobile. The first nationwide 4G network.

            This research is for a particular drink served by Grand Prince Vladiir to Dobrynya.

            -Halbrust

            Are you also a brewer? Sometime this coming month and into this summer I was going to integrate some experimental one gallon test batches of unhopped beer into my normal brewing schedule! Maybe we could collaborate, like a brewing double blind? I was planning ales for ease but lack a bread shed for natural yeasting. I would love to aid you in your research, which is very cool, and pursue my own passion for brewing.
            'dok

            From my Android phone on T-Mobile. The first nationwide 4G network.

            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 29, 2013
              Btw, I'm doing small batch research next month using herbs as bittering, flavoring and aroma agents, no hops. Want my research and samples?
              'dok

              From my Android phone on T-Mobile. The first nationwide 4G network.

              This research is for a particular drink served by Grand Prince Vladiir to Dobrynya.

              -Halbrust

              Are you also a brewer? Sometime this coming month and into this summer I was going to integrate some experimental one gallon test batches of unhopped beer into my normal brewing schedule! Maybe we could collaborate, like a brewing double blind? I was planning ales for ease but lack a bread shed for natural yeasting. I would love to aid you in your research, which is very cool, and pursue my own passion for brewing.
              'dok

              From my Android phone on T-Mobile. The first nationwide 4G network.

              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 29, 2013
                Just ordered a copy of Culinaria Russia! Any ideas where a copy of R. Roberts hop paper could be acquired? I just built a hop yard for my mundane brewing and would love to expand it in future days! Thanks!
                -dok

                From my Android phone on T-Mobile. The first nationwide 4G network.

                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 29, 2013
                  OF COURSE!

                  Awesome! When you work it out and publish, can I try it out?
                  'dok

                  From my Android phone on T-Mobile. The first nationwide 4G network.

                  This research is for a particular drink served by Grand Prince Vladiir to Dobrynya.

                  -Halbrust

                  Are you also a brewer? Sometime this coming month and into this summer I was going to integrate some experimental one gallon test batches of unhopped beer into my normal brewing schedule! Maybe we could collaborate, like a brewing double blind? I was planning ales for ease but lack a bread shed for natural yeasting. I would love to aid you in your research, which is very cool, and pursue my own passion for brewing.
                  'dok

                  From my Android phone on T-Mobile. The first nationwide 4G network.

                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 29, 2013
                    You have me intrigued...
                    Are you using herbs that grow naturally in Eastern Europe?

                    -Halbrust

                    Btw, I'm doing small batch research next month using herbs as bittering, flavoring and aroma agents, no hops. Want my research and samples?
                    'dok

                    From my Android phone on T-Mobile. The first nationwide 4G network.

                    This research is for a particular drink served by Grand Prince Vladiir to Dobrynya.

                    -Halbrust

                    Are you also a brewer? Sometime this coming month and into this summer I was going to integrate some experimental one gallon test batches of unhopped beer into my normal brewing schedule! Maybe we could collaborate, like a brewing double blind? I was planning ales for ease but lack a bread shed for natural yeasting. I would love to aid you in your research, which is very cool, and pursue my own passion for brewing.
                    'dok

                    From my Android phone on T-Mobile. The first nationwide 4G network.

                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 29, 2013
                      Actually, thats what I wanted to chat about. My wife is an apothecaress in the society with a very respectable library of period english, german and arabic sources,  but thats the furthest east. I myself have a library of brewing book rapidly gaining respectability, including a great starter book on brewing herbs whose main value is steering me clear of tragedy, until my learning curve reaches equilibrium with my drive.
                            Russian and E.E. herbs were to be my next google search and book purchase this weekend! Imagine my surprise!
                      'dok

                      From my Android phone on T-Mobile. The first nationwide 4G network.

                      Are you using herbs that grow naturally in Eastern Europe?

                      -Halbrust

                      Btw, I'm doing small batch research next month using herbs as bittering, flavoring and aroma agents, no hops. Want my research and samples?
                      'dok

                      From my Android phone on T-Mobile. The first nationwide 4G network.

                      This research is for a particular drink served by Grand Prince Vladiir to Dobrynya.

                      -Halbrust

                      Are you also a brewer? Sometime this coming month and into this summer I was going to integrate some experimental one gallon test batches of unhopped beer into my normal brewing schedule! Maybe we could collaborate, like a brewing double blind? I was planning ales for ease but lack a bread shed for natural yeasting. I would love to aid you in your research, which is very cool, and pursue my own passion for brewing.
                      'dok

                      From my Android phone on T-Mobile. The first nationwide 4G network.