Fw: Russian headwear reconstructions

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 6 3:55 PM
      http://viola.bz/ancient-jewelry-headwear-of-russian-women/

      Found this faffing around online.
      --Sfandra

    • Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 6 9:17 PM
        Greetings!

        The text has at least one notable mistake.
        "Vyatichi woman in a ribbon and rings headwear" could not have been a part of 11 century Vyatichi, as the source of the re-creation was the excavations in Dmitrov (it's noted in the Russian text) - and the town was founded 1154 by Yuri Dolgoruki (the founder of Moscow). Not to mention that even the Russian text for this picture goes as "Ре­кон­струк­ция ко­стю­ма и укра­ше­ний мо­ло­дой жен­щи­ны из Дмит­ро­ва, ко­нец XII ве­ка - на­ча­ло XIII ве­ка." - i.e. the author of the English translation is 1 century off the real info. Why she did so? My guess is that she has read some reference book entry on the history of Dmitrov, stating that the town was founded where some Slavic settlements had already been. But the text under Fyodorov's re-construction  states clearly "12 - early 13 century"

        Hope that helps.
        Bye,
        Alex.