Greetings from a new member!

  • Ravyn Schmidt
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 19, 2013
      Hello!
      My name is Jadwiga, and I'm in the SCA from the kingdom of An Tir! I found
      this group while looking for information about my persona! I'm fairly new
      to the SCA, so I'm still getting my bearings. When I joined the SCA with my
      hubby, and the matter of persona's came up, we decided on 16th C Polish,
      because we had been to Poland a few years back, and fell in love with the
      country. How little did we know that late-period Poland is really hard to
      research....if you are a woman. It's been pretty easy to find what he
      should wear...but not me. I swear sometimes, it seems like women barely
      existed back then!

      That being said, I would LOVE any help that folks might be able to provide
      in helping me research my persona! Right now I'm working on clothing, but I
      would like to learn as much about society and customs as I can, as I will
      be trying out for Golden Swan (An Tir Persona award) in a few years, the
      more I know, the better!

      As far as my persona goes, I've put myself at 1569 Poland, in or near Kraków.
      My husbands Persona is a hussar, if that is relevant.

      So yeah, that's me, and my pitiful cry for help, as well as a hearty
      welcome!

      Do zobaczenia,
      Jadwiga

    • analog4kid
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 19, 2013
        Witam Jadwiga,

        Though my persona would be dead, buried, and well decomposed by the time your persona was born , here are my suggestions:
        - Pick up "God's Playground" and "The Polish Way". They are great high level thumbnails of Polish history with a good number of pages devoted to your period of interest. If you want to get into the mindset of the szlachta during that time, read The Trilogy (or at least "With Fire and Sword"), and there is a great chapter in "God's Playground" as well.

        - As far as clothing is concerned, start with the royals and work your way out/down. The one that came to mind immediately was Anna Jagiellon. By that point in history personal portraiture was common amongst the elite and therefore something to be consulted. I can't tell you much about construction of said garments, or the layers involved, and I would suggest find women in your kingdom portraying similar timeframes as there are similarities in other countries.

        - If you really want to dive that deep into persona, pick up as much as you can concerning the details of your persona. Where are they living? How and what do they eat? What do they do? What is their social status? Do they have an "overlord"? Flesh all of this out. At this point in time in Poland your religious views would be of interest as well. None of this is to be told to anyone directly, per se, but these are the types of things that you internalize to make your outward portrayal more accurate.

        Good luck,
        Jan

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 20, 2013
          Put a yell out to Zigmund Nadratowski on the subject line or to Jadwiga. They are both Polish Laurels out east.
          'dok

          From my Android phone on T-Mobile. The first nationwide 4G network.