Czech clothing exhibit

  • Patches the gypsy
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 22, 2012
      This came across the outlands group and I thought it would be appropriate here.

      ***

      1. OT but a great extant clothing site
      Posted by: "Kathleen Buckley" kathleengbuckley@... kathleengbuckley
      Date: Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:58 am ((PST))

      For anyone who hasn't run into it, the following Czechoslavakian site has great
      pictures of a wide variety of seldom-seen extant garments from the early Middle Ages
      through the Renaissance. Cotes, kirtles, surcoats, doublets, accessories like
      jewelry, belts, pouches, shoes . . . everything. From countries all over Europe
      (granted, a number come from Germany and Eastern Europe but a number come from
      England, Spain, Italy and others). Pictures of things you never see. For instance,
      the "batwat" which was a sort of Balaclava which I'd guess was meant to be worn
      under a helm. Up close views of hairnets.

      This part of the site is in English. Other parts . . . not necessarily. But a
      picture is worth a thousand words.

      http://www.kostym.cz/Anglicky/obsah.htmal